Building a burrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Yes this is normal, Vegas has a nice sized burrow underneath the house we built for him and I am constantly filling in holes where he did some test digs, lol.

And now would be a good time to Sulcata proof your perimeter fence because it won't take long to dig a hole under a fence.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Always Happnens, how long was it digging for?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Arlington-20110409-00038.jpg

Its hard to see it but this was all flat ground and the hole goes completely under his house, we pick his house up every once in a while to see how far he has gone. When he is in the hole you can't even see him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Steve (I'm making an assumption here, as I don't think you've ever told us your name):

It has been my experience that if a tortoise can use his "house" to cool off in the summer and warm up in the winter, then his house is satisfactory and he won't try to dig a burrow. I have a 100lb male sulcata that I've had since he was 35lbs. He has never started digging. He lives in a insulated dog house with access to outside, 24/7/365. When he goes into the house at night I hear him digging and digging for about a half hour. The floor of the dog house is a thick rubber mat, so he can't dig, but its just nature for them to do some rearranging before they go to sleep.

M

Maggie Cummings

The same thing with Bob, he has never tried to dig outside, but when he goes into his sleeping box at night (every night) I can hear him digging and trying to rearrange the wood before he goes to sleep.
I personally think that if they are comfortable in their house and they have a warm, safe, secure place to sleep they don't dig a burrow...

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I actually like the Burrow, make me think that he is happy with the hole he dug.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
More than normal I think, mine shows no inkling to digging a burrow in his enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some of them dig a lot and some don't dig at all. One of mine will give it a go every 6 months or so. I usually just move them out of the way and fill in the hole. After that I drop a brick or paving stone there and they don't try again for a long time.

I think its kinda cool when they dig, but the temps aren't good enough here to let them dig and stay down there all the time.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Yes, just watch out for the digging under structure foundations. We have gotten one drop off because he caused damage to the porch foundation and it collapsed in the corner!

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
sorry I didn't see this sooner. RV has dug herself quite a burrow, but our soil is highly mineralized and almost hard as a rock. I would be careful if your soil isn't same.

teri

Status
Not open for further replies.