Bugs

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan
What do you use for substrate? And believe it or not my tortoise RARELY poops in her cage. If you soak everyday and try to catch them before they poop it may help.
At the time I had the springtails, I using a thick layer of peat moss and reptibark on top of that. I soak my guy everyday and he usually poops in his soak, but every now and then he leaves a present for me to find in his enclosure too ?

nicoleann2214

NY
At the time I had the springtails, I using a thick layer of peat moss and reptibark on top of that. I soak my guy everyday and he usually poops in his soak, but every now and then he leaves a present for me to find in his enclosure too ?
Oh yes love when that happens and it is tracked throughout the whole cage ???

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
These guys never come out until I offer them apple:
View attachment 317122

I use cheesecloth or burlap to keep gnats and fruit flies out of my isopods and hermit crabs. Also keeps humidity in.
Try potatoes too! Thats how we collect them out of the garden. Just cut one in half, hollow it out a bit and leave it cut part down over night. When you check it in the morning you'll see some then too ?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Try potatoes too! Thats how we collect them out of the garden. Just cut one in half, hollow it out a bit and leave it cut part down over night. When you check it in the morning you'll see some then too ?

They'll eat anything...from underneath. =DD Apple is the only thing they'll come Out In The Open for. They're too beautiful to be captured. All my other isopod species are totally chill.

Sevilla Isopods.JPG

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Some kind of Armadillidium species...I would guess a yellow version of maculatum "Zebra". But people are crossing and producing so many color combos it's hard to tell for sure when they're rolled up...
Craziness!! They really get that big!

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Craziness!! They really get that big!
Photos can be funny for perspective. But 1 inch adults are common for pill bugs...my Clowns with the spots should get there. Those might be A. gestroi...bigger and wider than maculatum.

My Porcellio Sevilla up-thread get quite big. I have some females who are closer to 1.25 inches long.

Can't swing a dead alligator without hitting a new variant...

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Photos can be funny for perspective. But 1 inch adults are common for pill bugs...my Clowns with the spots should get there. Those might be A. gestroi...bigger and wider than maculatum.

My Porcellio Sevilla up-thread get quite big. I have some females who are closer to 1.25 inches long.

Can't swing a dead alligator without hitting a new variant...
Thats so cool though!! I'd love some big ones!!

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Thats so cool though!! I'd love some big ones!!

I love mine.

They are USDA regulated (imported, invasive species), so you have to find them in-state (and make sure they are not also regulated where you live). Fanciers occasionally list them among the craigs.

nicoleann2214

NY
Hopefully these are better? I dont know they’re fast.

Attachments

• 6AA788A8-5FF9-4B69-90BA-077FFE965413.png
    6AA788A8-5FF9-4B69-90BA-077FFE965413.png
    254.2 KB · Views: 8
  • FDB14230-6663-4AB3-BEE7-E208B186F6AA.jpeg
    FDB14230-6663-4AB3-BEE7-E208B186F6AA.jpeg
    574.6 KB · Views: 7

ZenHerper

New Jersey