BUGS!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lisbon, Portugal
Transplanting wild weeds into pots is a great way to stock tort food.

But the last time I did this, I must have picked a "contaminated" weed, that is now crawling with white little buggers that are quickly taking over my enclosure.....

What can I do that's lethal but organic?!

Here ara pics:

DSC_9461.jpg

DSC_9460.jpg

DSC_9459.jpg

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Try spraying the plants with a mixture of dish soap (such as Dawn) and water. Rinse the plants off a couple of days later. The soap clogs the breathing pores on the insect and they sufficate.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I found this topic very interesting it made some valid points
http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2004/september/organic.htm

Then there are my favorites the Ladybugs and Praying Mantis
http://www.dirtworks.net/Nematodes-Garden-Greenhouse.html

You can also spray them with a solution of fine clay and water which will also clog their pores. Or if you want completely organic you can hand pick each one-tedious but effective. These look like aphids to me and spread quite fast. If your plants are throughout your enclosure and not contained in pots it might be easier and safer for your torts just to get some ladybugs and let them go to town.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
If your plants are outside ladybugs and lacewings would grow fat on these aphids. Do you have ladybugs and lacewings in Portugal?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Itort, I had some house plants once that were riddled with aphids and I got a few ladybugs and a couple of praying Manits and they cleared up the problem in no time. Then I simply placed them outside and they went on their merry way. But never thought they may not be in Portugal.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I said outside because many people have problems with insects in their home. I also invite and encourage the good bugs in the house but some don't.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Itort I totally understand thanks for the clarification.
I know I have a few friends that think if a bug gets inside it has to be sprayed and gotten rid of at all costs. I admit, I don't much like them inside either. But I just figure its better to get a few cute ladybugs, etc. rather than thousands of aphids. But then thats just me.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Just for reference on my feelings, as a child every summer I had a praying mantis living in my bedroom. Few flies though.

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
Thanks alot people.
I'm goint to try the dish soap and water mix.
For now, I've identified the "host pot" (the one pictured) and removed it from the enclosure.
Oh, and we do have lady bugs in portugal, but they're not as common as when I was a child. Not sure why...
Praying Mantis give the creeps...

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
Itort said:
Just for reference on my feelings, as a child every summer I had a praying mantis living in my bedroom. Few flies though.

o_O !!!!
I would never fall asleep.....

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
poor little aphids! hahah we need some aphid advocates here.
but seriously, i couldn't sleep with a praying mantis in my room either. they look pretty cool but i'd be afraid of waking up with a mantis on my face

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
When you're 12 or 13 and into japanese monster movies, a praying mantis in the room is cool.

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
well, 1 month latter, and the aphid plague has been contained, but not erradicated.
I've resisted the soap\water mix sice the attacked weeds are planted in the enclosure.

Today, I found this 2 solutions online (quoted from this site):

Tomatoe Leaf Spray:
Nightshade family plants, such as tomatoes, potatoes and tobacco, have toxic compounds called alkaloids in their leaves. These toxins are water soluble and can be soaked from chopped leaves and made into home-made sprays. These sprays also work by attracting natural pest enemies. The good bugs follow the smell of the spray in looking for prey.
Protection Offered: Tomatoe leaf sprays have been used to protect plants from aphids. Also, spraying tomatoe leaf spray on corn may reduce corn earworm damage. The corn earworm is also called the tomatoe fruitworm, as it also attacks tomatoe plants. A scientific study has shown that corn plants sprayed with tomatoe leaf spray attracted significantly more Trichogramma wasps to parasitize the corn earworm eggs than the unsprayed did.
How to Make: Soak 1 to 2 cups of chopped or mashed tomatoe leaves in 2 cups of water overnight. Strain through cheescloth or fine mesh, add about 2 more cups of water to the strained liquid, and spray. For aphid control, be sure to thoroughly cover the leaf undersides, especially of lower leaves and growing tips of plants where aphids congregate.
How to Use: Spray plants thoroughly, particularly undersides of lower leaves and growing tips where aphids congregate. while this spray is not poisonous to humans on contact, use care in handling, especially if you are allergic to the nightshade family.

Garlic Oil Sprays:
Organic gardeners have long been familiar with the repellent or toxic affect of garlic oil on pests. when it is combined with mineral oil and pure soap,as it is in the recipe that follows, devised at the Henry Doubleday Research Association in England, it becomes an effective insecticide. Some studies also suggest that a garlic oil spray has fungicidal properties.
Protection Offered: Good results, with quick kill, have been noted against aphids, cabbage loopers, earwigs, June bugs, leafhoppers, sqaush bugs and whiteflies. The spray does not appear to harm adult lady beetles, and some gardeners have found that is does'nt work against the Colorado potaoe beetles, grape leaf skeletonizers, grasshoppers, red ants, or sowbugs.
How to Make: Soak 3 ounces of finely minced garlic cloves in 2 teaspoons of mineral oil for at least 24 hours. Slowly add 1 pint of water that has 1/4 ounce liquid soap or commercial insecticide soap mixed into it. Stir thoroughly and strain into a glass jar for storage. use at a rate of 1 to 2 Tablespoons of mixture to a pint of water. If this is effective, try a more dilute solution in order to use as little as possible.
How to Use: Spray plants carefully to ensure thorough coverage. To check for possible leaf damage to sensitive ornamentals from the oil and soap in the spray, do a test spray on a few leaces or plants first. If no leaf damage occurs in 2 or 3 days, go ahead and spray more.

I figure they might be safe, right?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
The tomato leaf spray works (they members of the nightshade group along with potatoes) but one problem you can't feed it to yourself or tortoises. It is a shortlived pesticide but when gone you will have bugs back. The statement about corn ear worms and tomatoe worms is incorrect, I live in the corn of the corn belt and grow tomatoes. The corn ear worm is a beetle and the tomato worm is a moth. The garlic spray will work, it is a variation on the insecticide spray spoken of earlier. Remember organic gardening controls pests not eliminates them, case in point foxtail grass has developed resistence herbicides (Round-up).

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
Itort said:
but one problem you can't feed it to yourself or tortoises

ok than this is no good...
would weeds sprayed with the soap\water mix be "feadable" after a rinse?
thanks.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Not to break in on your thread, but what gets rid of spiders and ants???

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Spiders from where?
Try cucumber peel for ants. This site also talk about spiders
http://www.planetnatural.com/site/xdpy/kb/natural-pest-controls.html

Plants known to repel ants and aphids include: spearmint, peppermint and pennyroyal. I wonder if making a strong tea out of one of these three and spraying it on your plants could help, would not kill but will repel?
I also heard if the ants will eat oatmeal or corn meal they will die when they drink as the substances expand and they kind of explode.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The spiders are hanging out in the corners of my pens, I squash them when I find them and flood them everyday. I will have to get some mint and plant it around the outside along with some other stuff I heard about (outside the pen). I will put some oatmeal in the pens tomorrow for the annoying pests.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Jen you might want to put it outside as if your torts eat it it will swell in their tummys too. sprinkle mint leaves the torts can eat them. Or if you can remove the torts put down the oatmeal or cornmeal let them feast then sprinkle the tort yards. I have never been able to get rid of spiders. I simply break down the webs in the corners every time I see them, like daily. And squish the big BW when I can. Only real thing I know of for spiders are lizards, frogs and birds. None of which are great housed with my torts.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.