Bugs in the grass

torti53

Location (City and/or State)
Antelope
Hello there, my Torti is 5 yrs old about 65 pounds, I have his inclosure in the back yard. He garzes on the grass and is happy and hungry for it. I have a patch of grass that is in the shade. There appear to be small aphid type bugs in the grass. They are small black tiny bugs on the grass. Where he grazes there are no bugs I guess because of the full sn. What I need to know is if it safe for him to eat this grass. He loves the grass, but I don't want to have him get any stomach probles. Can anyone advise.

Thank You

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Where are you & what kind of tortoise? Anyhow, I’m sure a big probable Sulcata isn't running about after small mobile insects. I’m sure it might inadvertently eat a few bugs, but hey, thats natural. (As long as you don’t have some kind of bug bait down)…

Good luck

torti53

Antelope
Where are you & what kind of tortoise? Anyhow, I’m sure a big probable Sulcata isn't running about after small mobile insects. I’m sure it might inadvertently eat a few bugs, but hey, thats natural. (As long as you don’t have some kind of bug bait down)…

Good luck
Hello, yes Torti is a Sulcata. and the aphids are tiny tiny things you can hardly see them. Since in the wild he would eat even tiny things in the vegetation they eat I would assume it's okay. Just don't want him to get upset stomach or something. He gets plenty of his normal diet stuff, the grass is really just a supplement and to give him something do do as he makes his rounds.

Thank You

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, yes Torti is a Sulcata. and the aphids are tiny tiny things you can hardly see them. Since in the wild he would eat even tiny things in the vegetation they eat I would assume it's okay. Just don't want him to get upset stomach or something. He gets plenty of his normal diet stuff, the grass is really just a supplement and to give him something do do as he makes his rounds.

Thank You
Grass should be the main diet, not a supplement.

Aphids are not toxic and fine for him to eat some of them incidentally. I would get a positive ID on the bug. That will determine if they are safe for him to eat.