Buddy on his scaffold

Mini

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Friendswood
Buddy Scaffold1.JPG Buddy Scaffold2.JPG Buddy Scaffold3.JPG I finally got Buddy up on his scafford. It can support up to 500 pounds.
Now I can do pedi treatments for him and when the vet comes, he can't get away.
should have videoed him "air walking". He was a good trooper.

Last edited by a moderator:

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Hahaha nice

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, I know he didn't put himself up that high, so do,you just have to have a couple people lift him, or a few couple people lift him:D. Is that his yard? Does he have grazing space too?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't see any kind of crank or pulley. How did you get him in the air?

Magilla504

I love the idea and pic! If any of you guys with big torts are interested I could explain some easy ideas for lifting your tort. "Lifting and moving" , rope rescue and other things are what I do in the fire service. There would be a Few easy set ups that would lift a big tortoise

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
It takes two people to lift him with that pipe. I'm interested in new ideas to lift a tort. The biggest problem is ropes slipping between their shell and legs. My purple 2000# pipe straps are secured together with duct tape to prevent slippage between the straps. Once I slip the straps under him
I have to work fast so he won't walk off.

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
Okay, I know he didn't put himself up that high, so do,you just have to have a couple people lift him, or a few couple people lift him:D. Is that his yard? Does he have grazing space too?
It takes 2 people to lift him. Buddy has grass space as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love the idea and pic! If any of you guys with big torts are interested I could explain some easy ideas for lifting your tort. "Lifting and moving" , rope rescue and other things are what I do in the fire service. There would be a Few easy set ups that would lift a big tortoise

I have a "Forearm Lift" that I bought at one of those "As Seen On TV" places. I wonder if that would work. Have never tried to use it before.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jason:

So that we don't hijack Mini's thread, would you start a new thread and give us some pointers on lifting a heavy tortoise?

Magilla504

I would be referring to mechanical advantage we use in rope rescue. It's easy to create a rope system that could lift thousands

Magilla504

I'll put it together at work today and send a pic to you. It's pretty simple and you could buy big enough pulleys and rope at a hardware store to get it done. I have to teach a rope class in 15 minutes but I'll get a break to do it this morning

Magilla504

Hey mini, about how heavy is your tort? I want to construct something that will be easy enough to lift with using minimal equipment

Magilla504

Mini I sent you a message with directions written out . It looks harder thaN What it is. Just ask any questions

ben awes

5 Year Member
It would be great if you could post those directions and the video if you made one.