Bubbles in her eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Ok so today when I brought MoonPie in after her little romp in the yard I noticed she had bubbles in her eye so I put her in her soaking dish took a couple pictures to show u guys and spritzed her with the spray bottle a few times to see what happened. Well after I got done I noticed something dark (possibly substrate) appear on the side of her face that wasn't there before. Is it possible it was irritating her eyes and she couldn't get it out causing the bubbles?

image-3862924623.png

image-3088090873.png

image-664294459.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
bubbles or foam in the corner of a tortoise's eye usually means the tortoise is being kept too dry.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
bubbles or foam in the corner of a tortoise's eye usually means the tortoise is being kept too dry.

That's impossible. I soak her every other day. And keep the substrate very moist via spraying or pouring warm water in the corners, as well as spraying to keep the humidity up. It's not at 80% 24/7 but pretty darn close without a humidifier. And she also drinks alot too. This is the first time it's happened and like I said a piece of dirt was washed out of her eye after I sprayed her. She was drier in Petsmart and her eyes were kinda feted shut till they put some eye drops in them to open them up. I'm not trying to offend by saying all this :D I respect u Yvonne I just wanted to let u know I'm taking good care of her :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its ok...after all, I DID say "usually."

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Dirt or substrate can irritate an eye for sure...especially if it is lodged in the lid somewhere....if all seems back on track now likely you flushed it out :D

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Dirt or substrate can irritate an eye for sure...especially if it is lodged in the lid somewhere....if all seems back on track now likely you flushed it out :D

Yep she's fine now, she was neck deep in her food a minute ago and is now drinking some water lol

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh good....last summer one of the CDTs, Herman, got one of the points/seeds of a foxtail stuck right in his eye right in the inner corner...I so could see the end of the spear sticking out...but I had just cut my nails after some of them breaking from yard work...so I had no nails to tweeze it out with...so I ran into the house grabbed a pair of tweezers and a romaine lettuce leaf.....he LOVES LOVES LOVES romaine....so I got him focused on the romaine and so I laid flat in the ground to get a closure up shot and between each bite I tried snipping it out with the tweezers without plucking his darn eye out...lol...after about 10and pinches at it I got it....man his eye stopped running...he kinda glanced at me like ouch then went back to hovering in the romaine....I was so glad it worked...I did not want that seed to work its way into his eye .....that would have sucked...so you did good...:D

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Oh good....last summer one of the CDTs, Herman, got one of the points/seeds of a foxtail stuck right in his eye right in the inner corner...I so could see the end of the spear sticking out...but I had just cut my nails after some of them breaking from yard work...so I had no nails to tweeze it out with...so I ran into the house grabbed a pair of tweezers and a romaine lettuce leaf.....he LOVES LOVES LOVES romaine....so I got him focused on the romaine and so I laid flat in the ground to get a closure up shot and between each bite I tried snipping it out with the tweezers without plucking his darn eye out...lol...after about 10and pinches at it I got it....man his eye stopped running...he kinda glanced at me like ouch then went back to hovering in the romaine....I was so glad it worked...I did not want that seed to work its way into his eye .....that would have sucked...so you did good...:D

Ouch! Poor thing!!!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
If the grass is long in your yard, Moonpie could have been getting repeated eye-pokes via eye-level blades of grass. This happens to mine occasionally when I bring them out and the grass hasn't been cut for a while. I've never had the bubbles form from it though.

If you want to cut back on all that spraying down in the enclosure, an alternative is to place a heat rope or two attached to a dimmer switch/rheostat under the mulch and let it heat the moist substrate. Let me know if you want more details, it works well for me and a few others here on the forum.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Redstrike said:
If the grass is long in your yard, Moonpie could have been getting repeated eye-pokes via eye-level blades of grass. This happens to mine occasionally when I bring them out and the grass hasn't been cut for a while. I've never had the bubbles form from it though.

If you want to cut back on all that spraying down in the enclosure, an alternative is to place a heat rope or two attached to a dimmer switch/rheostat under the mulch and let it heat the moist substrate. Let me know if you want more details, it works well for me and a few others here on the forum.

I'm gonna borrow a heating pad for a few days till I can get an under the tank heater. Idk if my Petsmart local too me has heat ropes but I can check :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
DanaLachney said:
Redstrike said:

I'm gonna borrow a heating pad for a few days till I can get an under the tank heater. Idk if my Petsmart local too me has heat ropes but I can check :)

These are what I've used:
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Flexible-Heat-Ropes

Another nice looking rope:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006JLPGI/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Just be sure whatever you get is waterproof.

Status
Not open for further replies.