broken dew claw

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
Anyone else ever had a dog that broke their dew claw? Holly is off to the vet in about a half an hour because her dew claw snapped in half and is facing the wrong direction. She is just too good at masking her injuries, and it's probably been this way for about a week. Dang dog. Anyways, I assume the vet will just remove the cracked portion? From the looks of it I can't tell if the quick is fully severed but hopefully it won't be too painful for the poor old gal.

She hasn't been acting like it hurts too bad, thankfully, but like I said, she tends to mask her injuries and pain. Here's a picture of her from yesterday, she doesn't seem like she's in too much pain. I just noticed in the picture, though, that you can see the torn claw sticking out, dang it.

DSC_00942.jpg

Anyways, I just hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to make her feel better.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I have seen a few of these cases at the vet years back. Unfortunately it usually is pretty painful for them. Depending on the procedures needed to get it to be safe for her. Is the nail is still in tact they will probably just clean it and let it be. Poor pupper. Dogs usually dont tell us whats wrong and instinctively dont want to "show" being a week link in the pack. Hope its just a clean and go for her, and you.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Every dog that I get i have their dew claws cut off, just for this reason. Not only that but man it hurts once they jump on you trying to play....especially a mastiff.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
We get all of our border collies from cattle ranchers, and most of them don't remove the dew claw, because it supposedly helps them grip the dirt when they are herding. She's 9 and really, really active, hurt just about every other part of her body, so I guess I should have seen this coming eventually :p

Anyways, just got back from the vet. THANKFULLY, even though the nail was bent in a strange direction, it didn't damage the quick, so they just carefully trimmed it down. They said any discomfort she had was caused by the broken nail poking her leg.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
AustinASU said:
Every dog that I get i have their dew claws cut off, just for this reason. Not only that but man it hurts once they jump on you trying to play....especially a mastiff.

DITTO I always have my dogs removed and I always had the puppies I raised removed also. I hate them. They almost always get caught up on something. Everyone should have them removed when the dog is spayed or neutered.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I've never had a problem with them before now. The only one we had a problem with was her back dew claw, which is bad news, got that thing removed right away.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I haven't been showing dogs for a few years, but don't some breeds still require them?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
it varies, and it usually only the back ones that are removed, not the front.
if it wasnt bothering her and wasnt painful. I would have left it. The vet might want to sedate and cut it off and that is $ and will cause more problems then just leaving it IF it wasnt bothering her.
Or maybe its a simple clip and no pain or blood.
Hope it goes well...

SWDK

5 Year Member
Poconos, PA
My one dog has it happen quite often actually. His nails are brittle due to medication he takes for seizures. I normally superglue it or cut it off if I can.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Our female Carly has had hers catch and snap off....she tends to it for a day or so and then she is back in business, she would be more traumatized by a trip to the vet, so if it is manageable stuff, no vet.....and Jacqui, yup, they do need them while being shown--English Bulldogs do (or did when I was showing them years back)...:D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Atleast be thankful most breeds only have one dewclaw per leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.