Broccoli?

SouthPaw

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Westchester County, NY
I was wondering if tortoises should eat broccoli.I’ve been trying to find the answer myself by reading other posts, but I couldn’t find anything about broccoli. Oh, and I specifically have a Russian tortoise baby. Thanks!

SouthPaw

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Westchester County, NY

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's ok as an occasional meal.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welome!

I think a baby is going to have a tough time with broccoli unless you chop it up pretty fine so it wouldn’t be on the top of my list. It’s in a plant family that’s fine in moderation so if your baby will eat it it’s okay to offer now and then but other plants in this family are probably easier for a baby to manage: bok choy, arugula, turnip and radish leaves, watercress, kale, collards. You’ll still want to chop them a bit but they are easier to chew.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely try those!
To clarify, “in moderation” for a Russian can be in the 20% range or a bit more. They eat a fair number of brassicas in the wild. I feed on the lower side but that’s because I am lucky enough to have access to a really large variety of plants.

SouthPaw

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Westchester County, NY
okay, thanks! My husband cut up just the tops into tiny pieces and he ate it all. I've been giving him organic "mixed greens" from my local supermarket and I planted weed seeds that I got from the breeder for him that I'm waiting to grow. These are to tide him over until I can pick from the backyard and make him an enclosure there. Unfortunately, it's still waaay to cold outside here in NY