Breeding Staurotypus salvinii

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
Today was the day that Miss Beasley got to meet Katsu. Both are captive hatched Staurotypus salvinii that I've raised from tiny juveniles. Katsu was purchased at the Daytona Expo in 2012 and Miss Beasley was a gift from Jason Bourque in 2013.
They've both grown fast and reached adult size by the end of their second year but neither are the slightest bit overweight or obese. In fact, they're rather lean for captive turtles.

Staurotypus have a well deserved bad reputation for being rough on each other and from what I've heard from many other keepers is that males will kill each other fast and females will kill each other faster. Then there is the danger of females killing their mates, or males killing their females, and so on. So when I put them together this morning it was more or less just a trial introduction.
These photos were taken after Miss Beasley was in Katsu's tank (75 gallon with a water depth of 23 cm) for less than two minutes...
IMG_1592_zpsccxsh8qg.jpg

A little apprehension from her but that was over after about 30 seconds.
IMG_1594_zpsbw5qxq0y.jpg

There's a lot of throat pumping going on but no biting
IMG_1598_zpskgajzn6i.jpg

One minute later and... that's enough foreplay
IMG_1601_zps8axhklkb.jpg

There wasn't a lot of moving around and they basically remained like this for about a half hour.

DSCN5009_zpsohkizvwg.jpg

DSCN5014_zpsmvpvet87.jpg

Both were about to reach the water surface to breathe.

And then suddenly, that was it. They parted and decided to kill each other. So I guess that meant that their date was over.

Rue

Canada
Short but sweet? Make hay while the sun shines? When the right guy comes along...? LOL...

turtlemanfla88

Awesome. I live in Florida so I kept mine in a 3 foot deep pond and never saw them during the day now at night with a flashlight is a different story. I can't tell you how to hatch them except I found babies in December and January at night with a flashlight among the water plants. They are wild caught adults.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Today was the day that Miss Beasley got to meet Katsu. Both are captive hatched Staurotypus salvinii that I've raised from tiny juveniles. Katsu was purchased at the Daytona Expo in 2012 and Miss Beasley was a gift from Jason Bourque in 2013.
They've both grown fast and reached adult size by the end of their second year but neither are the slightest bit overweight or obese. In fact, they're rather lean for captive turtles.

Staurotypus have a well deserved bad reputation for being rough on each other and from what I've heard from many other keepers is that males will kill each other fast and females will kill each other faster. Then there is the danger of females killing their mates, or males killing their females, and so on. So when I put them together this morning it was more or less just a trial introduction.
These photos were taken after Miss Beasley was in Katsu's tank (75 gallon with a water depth of 23 cm) for less than two minutes...
IMG_1592_zpsccxsh8qg.jpg

A little apprehension from her but that was over after about 30 seconds.
IMG_1594_zpsbw5qxq0y.jpg

There's a lot of throat pumping going on but no biting
IMG_1598_zpskgajzn6i.jpg

One minute later and... that's enough foreplay
IMG_1601_zps8axhklkb.jpg

There wasn't a lot of moving around and they basically remained like this for about a half hour.

DSCN5009_zpsohkizvwg.jpg

DSCN5014_zpsmvpvet87.jpg

Both were about to reach the water surface to breathe.

And then suddenly, that was it. They parted and decided to kill each other. So I guess that meant that their date was over.
So did you lose any fingers Breaking up the fight and separating them?

turtlemanfla88

I keep them in separate ponds ,but in pairs . I first put all 2.2 in one pond that was not good I had to separate because one pair was very aggressive towards the other.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I keep them in separate ponds ,but in pairs . I first put all 2.2 in one pond that was not good I had to separate because one pair was very aggressive towards the other.

Yeah, I'm sure that in a pond a pair would be fine. But in aquariums there just isn't enough room for one turtle to escape an aggressor. Unless one has a really giant tank, which I'm working on!