Breast Cancer and Dinner's

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
My friend is fighting a terrible battle against breast cancer. She has been doing aggressive chemo treatment's for the last five month's and nothing is changing except she is very sick and very weak. Recently a group of women started making dinner's for her and her family. I make dinner for her every Monday. So I thought this would be a great platform to get idea's for what I can make for her, her husband and her two kid's that are five years old and ten years old. The only dietary restriction for the dinner is it cannot contain dairy. Do you have any quick, easy and nutritious recipe's that you would be willing to share with me? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
That's wonderful that you are helping make dinner for her family. My family went through a difficult time several years ago, and we had neighbors bring us dinner several nights a week. We were extremely grateful!

I only make vegan recipes for my family and myself, and the meals I cook for the family I nanny usually contain dairy :p But I will try to come up with a few good ones I can share :)

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
You all are true friends! I'll keep her in my prayers. Now as for food... Turkey meatloaf, chicken soup?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
AnthonyC said:
You all are true friends! I'll keep her in my prayers. Now as for food... Turkey meatloaf, chicken soup?

Thank's, do you have a special recipe for the Turkey meatloaf and chicken soup is an excellent idea!

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Erin, when I make it I just use ground turkey meat (breast b/c it has much less fat), 2 eggs, bread crumbs, & season to taste. Hope this helps. :)

CtTortoiseMom said:
AnthonyC said:

Thank's, do you have a special recipe for the Turkey meatloaf and chicken soup is an excellent idea!

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Myrtle Beach SC
Erin you have a nice group of friends. I am sorry to hear that your friend has cancer, especially with such young children. How about a nice pot of chili?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
AnthonyC said:
Erin, when I make it I just use ground turkey meat (breast b/c it has much less fat), 2 eggs, bread crumbs, & season to taste. Hope this helps. :)

CtTortoiseMom said:
AnthonyC said:

Thank's Anthony. That is perfect:)

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Casseroles are always great. A lot of them contain cheese or creamy soup bases unfortunately, but I'm sure there are plenty of dairy free versions :)
allrecipes.com is a great website for recipes.
We especially loved pasta dishes.
Forgot to mention earlier that your friend and her family will be in my thoughts.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I know your help is appreciated, Banquet Homestyle Bakes are actually pretty good,The only place we have seen them is at Wal Mart for $3 each.On the box it says 4-5 servings I think 3 is a better guess. Even if it took 2 boxes it's only $6 a meal for 4 people, They take just a couple minutes to put together and about a half hour to bake. a couple do have cheese but you don't have to use it. --inexpensive and simple--

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I am so sorry. That is awful :(.
Baked spagetti is always good to take or a rigattoni bake. I always put cheese on mine though. I would buy some disposible containers to put it in so they don't have to wash the dish. Stew is also good for taking to people. Not using dairy makes it hard to come up with casseroles. A spiral ham that has been cut of the bone is easy. I make a turkey casserole with chopped turkey and veggies in gravy with mashed potatoes on top. Also chicken pot pie is good. Bisquick has some good recipes. When we went to a bigger church and my husband was a deacon I did a lot of taking food to shut-ins so learned what traveled and could be reheated easy.
I feel so bad for your friend. I can't imagine how a mom with small kids can deal with that. I am glad she has good friends.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sorry, if you guys haven't figured it out, I unfortunately am not much of a cook. I did want to commend you for being the sort of a friend you are to this woman. She is lucky to have you and the other women to be so thoughtful. I hope she soon turns the corner and improvement comes her way.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
brownies!! brownies always cheer people up! unless that contains dairy...I think it does since you need milk :( Then you can make those thingy where they wrap some kind of bread ish thing around mini hot dogs and then bake them :D or!! you can buy her those huge pretzels

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
I'll pray for them and that's great what you guys are doing :D

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Angrycowgoesmoo said:
brownies!! brownies always cheer people up! unless that contains dairy...I think it does since you need milk :(

Vegan brownies :D I can give you a recipe if interested ;) They really aren't as scary as you think! (cocoa powder is vegan!)

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I don't eat any dairy, either. One of my favorite meals is burritos filled with: Crisp bacon of the thick-sliced, applewood smoked variety, scrambled eggs, and fried potatoes. I sqirt some hot sauce inside before I roll it up, Taco John's being my favorite LOL. I know most people would put cheese on this, but it is perfectly delicous without.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
ChiKat said:
Angrycowgoesmoo said:
brownies!! brownies always cheer people up! unless that contains dairy...I think it does since you need milk :(

Vegan brownies :D I can give you a recipe if interested ;) They really aren't as scary as you think! (cocoa powder is vegan!)

to tell you the truth I don't really like cocoa powder :( unless it's like mixed inside the brownie because when I first tried it it was like chocolate covered in cocoa powder. :3

ALSOOO!!! I was at this mexican restaraunt and they had this 12 inch taco! It was like a huge taco a shaped of a bowl with the good stuff inside. Maybe you can try to replicate that! But I was stuck in the bathroom for 2 days :3

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Thank's everyone for the great idea's!!

Katie- the recipe for vegan brownies would be great if you think the kids would like them too.

Angi- disposable dishes is something I did not think of, great idea!!

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I have a great tortellini casserole recipe, I'll check it for dairy and see if I can switch things around.

I also make toffee crack with saltine crackers, my 12 goes crazy for it (hence the crack name :p). I will get that recipe out too.

I just made the toffee crack for our tortoise club meeting Friday, it was a big hit. Easy on the budget too!

Prayers coming for your friend! and {{{{HUGS}}}}}

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
chicken with rice and cream of mushroom soup... baked.. like a cassarole...
or is that considered dairy>
nice of you to do that...

Status
Not open for further replies.