Brazilian Cherry Head Tortoise question

Thundersnow

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Good morning,
I am looking into purchasing a Brazilian Cherry Head tortoise. Can I keep this tort in a tortoise table or do they require a lot of humidity & heat? These guys can get up to 14" so a tank wouldn't work.I can't keep him/her outside being we have seasonal changes herre in central Kentucky. In the summer I would let the tort. outside for direct sun and grazing. Also are they a friendly breed that likes to interact with their human? I had two Sulcatas and they constantly wanted attention like two puppies. I would love to get sulcatas again but they would be too large to keep indoors when full grown.
Thanks.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Hello.

Cherryhead tortoises will definitely benefit from an closed enclosure to maintain higher humidity and temperatures. If you plan on keeping it indoors for part of the year I recommend only keeping one and having an enclosure that is at least 4’x8’. Larger would be better.

Thundersnow

Kentucky
Hello.

Cherryhead tortoises will definitely benefit from an closed enclosure to maintain higher humidity and temperatures. If you plan on keeping it indoors for part of the year I recommend only keeping one and having an enclosure that is at least 4’x8’. Larger would be better.
How would I be able to cover a tortoise table that big to keep the humidity in?
Do Greek tortoises require the same?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That tortoise WILL need high humidity.
It should be over 75% 24/7.
But it WILL NOT need high heat. In fact. I'd totally avoid anything over say 90°f if it can be controlled. And between 81 and 84 is absolutely perfect.
Of course nature's temperature fluctuations are much wider. But we can make things more ideal in an enclosure. So we need to for optimal health.
Redfoot and Cherryhead Redfoot care, etc, is the same.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How would I be able to cover a tortoise table that big to keep the humidity in?
Do Greek tortoises require the same?
You don't cover a table. You buy a large closed chamber.

A baby greek needs at least moderate humidity, but a grown adult can handle room conditions in an open table as long as the room temps are 65-80 ish all year.

No tortoise has a personality like a sulcata. You are likely to be disappointed if that is what you are hoping for.