Brainstorming: Secure outdoor enclosures with microclimates

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Since I have time to build the outdoor enclosure (either next year, or even the year after)...and time to shop for supplies (and hopefully find good deals)....I am looking at all kinds of options.

Given our climate (harsh prairie) - and our yard (acreage with predators) - I was wondering if anyone has tried combining a 'dog run' with a small greenhouse?

I've seen various pictures - but nothing that is specifically geared towards a tortoise.

I was just wondering if this would provide a) secure space along with b) a functional microclimate.

Mostly I'm looking for obvious drawbacks that I might be missing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I bought a dog run and instead of setting it up in a square, I made a straight line, using T-posts to support the panels. It almost fit across my whole backyard. Then I built a greenhouse inside the area and a night box inside the greenhouse.
new greenhouse 10-14-14 day 4.jpg new Greenhouse 10-16-14 day 6.jpg night house a.jpg

new greenhouse 4-1-16.jpg

The first pictures were last year. This year, the last picture, it is totally overgrown with weeds and plants.

This has worked out well for the tortoises inside. If there is any sun at all, the greenhouse warms up enough for the tortoises to be allowed out of the night box. But all during the winter I've kept the doors to the greeenhouse closed, keeping the tortoises inside. I won't open the doors until the weather warms up enough to support them.

Rue

Canada
Wow! That is very impressive! :)

I'm glad to know it works well! I probably don't need quite as large a space for one Hermann's...but I was also hoping it would increase the amount of outside time she can have - put her out earlier in the spring (provided it's not too cold) and have her out later in the season too...or just have her outside even if the weather isn't all that great (cooler days, rainy days, windy days...which we get a lot of)...

Kori5

I love your topic. I'm planning to build something like this next year. My concern are the thieves. How can I make an outdoor enclosure that is secure? Would a cage with an lock work? Plus camera and alarm? Something like the first pic :).

Reactions: Rue

Rue

Canada
Theft didn't even occur to me when we got our tortoise. And then I had an "uh-oh, what if"...moment. I'm not too worried, but we have had a couple of trespassers the last few years, so I know it can happen.

If we build a dog run, with a covered top - and have a lock for when we're around, I hope that would be enough to deter any opportunistic thieves.

Nothing will deter a planned break-in.