Box turtle??

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzy2208

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
illinois
Hello. I own a baby sulcata tortoise and a russian tortoise that ive had since i was 5. I have an extra tank and light and was thinking about a box turtle. I see them alot at the petstores near me(i think eastern).they've been there for 3 months and are very friendly and come right to the side of the tank...but nobody's bought them yet. I feel bad.. But my cousin had a box turtle that he really loved. Then one day he went to feed it and he found it dead. We have no idea why. He had a heatpad for it at night. I saw recently a warning on certaing heat pads for being know to overheat. Could that be why.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using TortForum mobile app

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
That could be why he died. He could of overheated. I have Easterns. I just love them!! They are a great turtle to have!! :)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
They need to cool down at night and never need heat pads any time. Babies are prone to dehydration if not kept moist. I think you should rescue those boxies & we'll help you learn about them.

izzy2208

5 Year Member
illinois
Ok i will

i<3 my torts
Donatello: sulcata tortoise
Torty: russian tortoise

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Glass tanks are not ideal. A stock tank from tractor supply company works well, isn't expensive, is lightweight, easy to clean & waterproof. Or build your own.

Boxies are omnivores. Overripe fruits, veggies, mushrooms, worms, bugs...there's a long list if good foods.

The substrate should be damp enough to germinate seeds. Think of a forest floor- rich damp earth. A mixture of coconut coir and finished compost works well for me & my crew.

izzy2208

5 Year Member
illinois
Ok thanks what kind of a light should i get

i<3 my torts

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Boxies need a 5.0 UVB light. I use the Reptiglo 5.0. I use black incandescent lights for heat, since boxies don't like overly bright lighting. And I cover much of the enclosure to keep humidity in.

izzy2208

5 Year Member
illinois
Ok thanks!!

i<3 my torts

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I will second the above. Boxies must cool down at night and you really need to get them outside often. Never provide heat from below or at night unless your house gets below 70 for any length of time. And they need to dig and bury themselves so plenty of substrate is a good thing. Make sure you are not squeemish either as you will be feeding them live foods and the ocasional chopped up meat like beef heart is always good. But really, as far as friendly and awesome personalities go, you can't beat a friendly little box turtle! I love them!!!

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Selame,
I never tried beef hearts, can I use also chicken hearts do you cook them? Or do you give them raw?

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:
Selame,
I never tried beef hearts, can I use also chicken hearts do you cook them? Or do you give them raw?

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

I am also curious about this.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I can't comment on feeding hearts, but I will say that 70 at night is too conservative. They are fine with nighttime temperatures of 60.

Put your light on a timer to make it easy.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
I feed my hatchling beef heart also. You can buy it in the freezer section of petco.

Status
Not open for further replies.