Box Turtle Eggs In Hawaii

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmarie808

5 Year Member
View attachment 16436View attachment 16437
hi newbie here -from Hawaii- 2 box turtles, 1 Maltese/schnauzer, 1 birman & 3 clutches of box turtle eggs.
Shelly(15), our bigger turtle with the sunburst decor, has been busy laying eggs! She only mated with our other turtle Clyde(20) once, but has laid 3 separate clutches of eggs since, in our yard. The first batch would have been 70 day on Feb 14. Worried, I checked the eggs & ended up rescuing the 2 good eggs of 5, the rest were eaten by big red ants. Not wanting to get stung, I used the water hose to clean out the ants. Upon doing so, the 2 vital eggs floated loose & I quickly re-homed them in some reptile soil I got from the pet store and a casserole dish. The temp here is 78-88F during the day and around 59-70F at night. Is an incubator necessary? Any tips on caring for the eggs? Should I dig up the other 2 clutches? We have red dirt in our yard which dries like clay, but Shelly did a real great job making her nests and I think they would be okay except that we have a huge avocado tree that is constantly dropping random avocados. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Aloha & Mahalo!

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
ALOHA AND WELCOME :D love Hawaii, going to vacation there this April, Oahu. I don't know anything about hatching eggs. However I would be afraid to leave them out in the yard because of the Ants and avocado. Hang on and I'm sure someone with experience will help out here soon.:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi gmarie:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

If you can place the eggs somewhere that the temp is in the 80's you probably won't need an incubator. I've hatched a few eggs on the closet shelf in moist dirt. But try to place the eggs in the same orientation they were in the nest.

I have ants too, and I have to dig up all my eggs. About 15 years ago I moved to a new house and placed my incubator full of Manouria eggs on the floor in the new living room while I painted and got the house ready to live in. After quite a while, I slapped my forehead in remembrance of the incubator and quickly looked inside...something I hadn't done in about 3 months. The incubator was full of red ants, what we call grease ants - teeny, tiny red, biting ants that you can hardly see. Several of the eggs had tiny holes in them with ants inside. I ran some warm water in the sink and held the eggs under the faucet so water ran into the hole, flushing out the ants. Then I cleaned out the incubator, put more water in it, and set it up where the ants couldn't get it. A few weeks later, quite a few babies hatched out. Some of them had a bit of the top layer of keratin eaten off their shells, but they lived and ended up being just fine.

Sorry for changing the subject of my welcome to you...when you get old its easy to be side-tracked. :p

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
Hi there!
I don't breed so eggs are not my thing, but boy it would nice to see pictures of them when they hatch. Welcome!

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
Welcome! I'd move the eggs so they're as safe as possible, but that's just my opinion/preference

gmarie808

5 Year Member
Thanks for the warm welcome!:)

wellington said:
ALOHA AND WELCOME :D love Hawaii, going to vacation there this April, Oahu. I don't know anything about hatching eggs. However I would be afraid to leave them out in the yard because of the Ants and avocado. Hang on and I'm sure someone with experience will help out here soon.:D

gmarie808

5 Year Member
Thanks for the warm welcome! Your tortoise is beautiful! He is so asymmetrically perfect! What do you feed him?

Zamric said:
Welcome to the Forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.