Box turtle and Russian tortoise?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Hello, I have a question that I think I already know the answer to :) but I want to confirm it or get some other ideas. A friend of mine wants to give me a Boxturtle. I already have a Russian tortoise. I can make a separate indoor enclosure for the box turtle because I know their needs are different than the Russian. But can they be in the same outdoor enclosure? I'm not sure I have the space for another outdoor enclosure. I have posted pictures of my L-shaped enclosure here on the forum, it is 10' x 15'. And very over planted :) I guess I just want to know if there are dangers of putting the two species together outdoors. And if so can people show me pictures of their outdoor enclosures and give me some ideas? Thank you for any information you may have.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Species should never be mixed. Especially species with totally different diets and requirements. Especially not with a russian tortoise.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
They have much different needs. But more than that, they could spread diseases and fight causing one to get sick or die. So You will have to separate them. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That is pretty much what I figured. This person also wants to give me another Russian tortoise but I told them no on that one. I'm just not sure if I have the money and space for another outdoor enclosure. I knew that no matter what , turtle or tortoise, I would have to get another indoor enclosure.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I know this is sad. Boxie's are so cute. If you could just have separate places. And the boxie has to hibernate.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm going to research ideas for enclosures. I knew I was going to have to have a new indoor enclosure but I'm not sure I have the money to pull off both an indoor and outdoor enclosure right now. I won't rush into this. Is hibernation required? I've heard it doesn't matter if you're not breeding them. I don't hibernate my Russian tortoise.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
You can actually use a plastic kiddie pool for an outdoor enclosure for the box turtle.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Hibernation is optional for the most part, just never hibernate a new,young,or sick animal. Oh by the way russians and boxies should not mix, in case no one has mentioned it. :)