Bovril soak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeen, Scotland
On another tort forum someone recommended adding bovril to a soak for poorly not eating torts, the people who had tried it all spoke very highly of it and not any negative results.
Just wondered everyone's input on this?
I'd like to try it for Yoshi as he is eating so little, I have tried the baby food soaks already.
I know bovril is meant to be full of vitamins but the high salt is really putting me off.
Has anyone on here heard of bovril in soaks????

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Refresh my memory...Bovril is a beef-based concentrate, correct? I have used Bovril in the past in gravies, etc. and it's very salty. I would not use it for soaking tortoises.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Your instinct is right, do NOT give it to your tortoise, or any animal. It is ridiculously high in salt, not to mention MSG and spices and way too many unpronounceable ingredients. The salt will dehydrate her, not to mention wreak havoc on her kidneys. Stick with baby food soaks.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Yes it's like a beefy drink (yuk)

I was stunned it was never anything I would imagine giving an animal! The people who have tried it said that it perked their torts right up and all were eating within an hour! It's meant to have lots of vitamins in it but it is very salty, maybe it just appeared to perk them up and they were trying to get rid of the taste!? Although just to add they were talking about it being highly diluted.
Pretty random huh?!
My tort ain't no guineypig...I'm staying clear.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
laney said:
Yes it's like a beefy drink (yuk)

I was stunned it was never anything I would imagine giving an animal! The people who have tried it said that it perked their torts right up and all were eating within an hour! It's meant to have lots of vitamins in it but it is very salty, maybe it just appeared to perk them up and they were trying to get rid of the taste!? Although just to add they were talking about it being highly diluted.
Pretty random huh?!
My tort ain't no guineypig...I'm staying clear.

I'm with you, don't use your tort as a Guinea pig. I was thinking maybe the perked upness was the tort trying to get the salt out fast. Have you tried yellow flowers like dandelion or cactus? Often these will get them to eat when other thing fail.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Cowboy_Ken said:
I'm with you, don't use your tort as a Guinea pig. I was thinking maybe the perked upness was the tort trying to get the salt out fast. Have you tried yellow flowers like dandelion or cactus? Often these will get them to eat when other thing fail.

I can't lay my hands on dandelions anywhere because of the weather and I'm a complete failure at growing the weeds, I keep buying seeds and attempting but no joy yet :(
They didn't like the aloe I tried, it was quite cute they tasted it and they both smacked their lips after one bite and walked away lol. I will keep persisting with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.