Both Boys????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulcata Lover

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello Everyone...
Got a quick question (mainly a concern) I have 2 Sullys.. One is 20+ pounds, and the smaller one is about 8-10 pounds.. OK, so I know the larger one is a male..How do I know?, Well he like to show me and every one else his ummm...well you know!!!! The smaller one I assumed was a male as well because over the last year he has displayed some dominance toward the larger male...OK, so, the larger one is mounting the smaller one every chance he gets...I'm having to separate them because he wont leave him alone....Any chance the smaller one might be a she???? Any even if it was a female...way to small to breed right???(9-11 inches) Do males do this to each other.... I mean we got grunting, scooting, dragging, the whole 9 yards...They are trying to mate......I think... all of the plastron shapes look the same on both..Thats why I thought they were both males.
I could use some expert advise on this....

Thanks
Jeff

Sulcata Lover

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
ok, give me a minute

Jeff

Ok , here are a couple of pics

JeffDSCN0339.jpgDSCN0341.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Jeff...flip the smaller one on her back and snap a shot...actually, shoot 'em both and we'll tell you instantly...;)

Sulcata Lover

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
here you go...

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 99
  • photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 84
M

Maggie Cummings

I say you have a female and a male. The dirty one is the female...but I usually get it wrong, so wait for somebody to contradict me...:cool:

Sulcata Lover

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ok,
Im confused...So the Larger tort (dirty muddy picture) is the female?? Thats the one on top in the other pics....Shouldn't this scenario be reversed?
And what the heck is that organ that the large one..(which I assumed was a male) drags around and is so proud of.... Then it retracts for no apparent reason... Wow, this is stressful! hahaha

Jeff

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
The picture on the left with a close-up of the tail/anal scute/anal notch is a female. The other one with a "v" second picture is a male. I have learned in raising African torts that females mount females and make that same grunting sound and females mount males, and males mount males and females too. It's more about dominance and I tend to see it more with Sulcatas than Leopards. However, I think it just depends on one's personality. I have an adult female Sulcata that is sweet as can be and doesn't mount anybody. Then my other large female is very dominant, always tryint to show her dominance and mount both males and females.

Status
Not open for further replies.