Bookcase enclosure (obv indoor)

Annabel

Location (City and/or State)
Hawai'i
Aloha--
I'm a complete newbie.
Got our RT on Saturday and bought an enclosure out of sheer necessity, but knew instantly when I put Olivia in it that it was completely inadequate.
Sunday I got a big bookcase and built it, turned it on its back, lined with plastic and exercise panels, then heaped cypress mulch and coconut coir in and placed furnishings and 1 basking and 1 UVB light in her "living room", leaving her "bedroom" unlit for cooler bedtime and napping temps.
She moved in Sunday night and burrowed in.
Monday she was very active and explored her house and seems to like it.
Here are pics: (I also posted these on my introduction thread)

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Annabel

Hawai'i
I'd love to hear opinions and please tell me about lighting...I'm not sure what I have is adequate. Btw, the UVB is not a coil but looks more like a prong.
Also--my plans for this upcoming weekend are to create an outdoor enclosure for her as well. No one should live in Hawai'i and stay indoors all the time!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
now I am jealous of a Russian tortoise who lives in Hawaii.:(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'd love to hear opinions and please tell me about lighting...I'm not sure what I have is adequate. Btw, the UVB is not a coil but looks more like a prong.
Also--my plans for this upcoming weekend are to create an outdoor enclosure for her as well. No one should live in Hawai'i and stay indoors all the time!

The prong-looking UVB is also called a compact fluorescent bulb. I won't use any of those, no matter what shape they are. I much prefer either the Mercury Vapor Bulb (heat and UVB in one bulb):

zoo-med-powersun-uv-mercury-vapor-uvb-lamp.jpg

Or the tube-type fluorescent UVB bulb with reflector:

t8-reflector.jpg

Of course, if your tortoise gets at least a couple of hours outside in the sun, you really don't need an indoor UVB bulb. Just some sort of heat bulb.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I think the enclosure is fantastic! You did a great job.
The Power Sun is wonderful. Just make sure to monitor temps and adjust the height of the light as they get hot.
You live in a great spot! :)