blister on eye?!

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
hi all, have just noticed a blister on one of our little fishes eyes ?!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437075714.719249.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437075732.953213.jpg

im sorry i dont have any info on the little guy other than its a fresh water.

any help or advice would be much appreciated! will this get better, or is it causing pain/stress?

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
anyone got any advice on this poor 'lill fishy at all? the blister bubble has got bigger :( ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437403855.188447.jpg

if it will heal then brilliant, if not and its causing pain i'd rater put the poor wee guy out his misery?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Never seen that before. I suspect it will pop on its own. Maybe a small sprinkle of kosher salt in the tank. That helps with so many problems.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Never seen that before. I suspect it will pop on its own. Maybe a small sprinkle of kosher salt in the tank. That helps with so many problems.

thank you! i tryed looking around on net, closest i could see was a thing called 'pop eye' (not the sailor man lol) but looks different to this. poor thing looks like the fish from the simpsons!

cool, will try the salt. water change too?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I wouldn't change the water unless it was screaming for it. Water change is a stressor. Just realize that the salt becomes concentrated when water evaporates, so keep the tank topped up. You can always add more salt, so start small. I think it's a watch & wait situation.

Is the fish behaving normally & eating? Swimming okay?

Maybe an injury? I really don't know.

One of my comets has a pop eye. I think the cat is implicated & there was an injury, but the fish has been okay with it for years.

Looks like a bubble eye. I wonder if it's a black moor/bubble eye (celestial) cross? If that's possible? My bubble eyes' bubbles used to pop & then reinflate. No action necessary there.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
i honestly dont have a clue what kind of fish it is, the mrs deals with them.... untill somethings wrong lol.
yeah its eyes are huge! it has a silver underside and a silver tint on sides.

it appears to be fine otherwise i guess, eating etc... its just horrible watchin it swim up to glass and squashing the offending eye( perhaps trying to pop it) or just blissfully unaware!

just added some of the salt in to existing water there so fingers crossed!

thanks again for the advice, jade will be happy when she gets home knowing we'r trying to fix him :)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
It's a fancy goldfish. Used to be called a black moor but it's not pc so it might be called something else these days.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
it burst! hopefully now it'll heal up.. bet its such a relief to the little dude! please excuse the spots on tank, holding of cleaning long as we can as you said to avoid stressin him, making sure waters topped up though :). thanks again, cpl days with the salt seams to have worked the magic :) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437681307.546374.jpg

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Those algae spots don't hurt and may actually be beneficial. They provide food & biological filtration. You don't want it in the water, but as long as you can see your fish through the glass, you don't actually have to remove it. The color is a good healthy green.

Glad the fish is responding!

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
brilliant, they can stay then lol. we actually had an algae eater but it didnt last long, wee fella just hid in a corner and was 'sleeping with the fishes' bout a week later.

thanks again for the advice, i was thinking would have to end it for the poor fishy so you are indeed a life saver :)