Black baby greek tortoise won’t eat

ChinoCochino33

Location (City and/or State)
Burlington Ontario
Hi I recently got a baby black Greeks bout a month ago and I just moved him into a better set up..he is a PetSmart baby and I thought my little buddy was in a brumation stage since i live in canada and it has been cold but I’ve been trying to wake him up with warm baths at least 3 times a day and i try to feed him but he usually doesn’t eat anything i give him
But Belgian endive( i only have had access to store bought food, with Walter weather I’ve been trying to plant food) and he won’t eat on him own.. he doesn’t move as often anymore now and I’ve been keeping his temperatures and my room temperature up.. the photo below is where I moved him. i do have more stuff to put in there to give him places to hide just not in this photo

Attachments

• 4EB0AAA5-05B0-4F56-B5D9-D4B367AA5E11.jpeg
    4EB0AAA5-05B0-4F56-B5D9-D4B367AA5E11.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He should be in a closed chamber with 80% humidity, basking temp of 95-100F over all temp of a range from 75-80 and night temps not lower then 65-70.
What type of heat, lighting are you using?
What are the temps? Humidity?
A varied diet of as many safe items is a must, you need to get creative and get him to eat more variety.

ChinoCochino33

Burlington Ontario
He should be in a closed chamber with 80% humidity, basking temp of 95-100F over all temp of a range from 75-80 and night temps not lower then 65-70.
What type of heat, lighting are you using?
What are the temps? Humidity?
A varied diet of as many safe items is a must, you need to get creative and get him to eat more variety.
He used to be in a much more enclosed tank but it was really small so I moved him to the one in the photo above I will have to adjust the heat a bit as now it is bigger and I’ll probably need a stronger bulb than the one I’ve been using..Heat and lighting are 100 watt basking bulbs and a 10.0uvb long tube.. im getting a new heat emitter as the one I have rn is to weak for the bigger set up.. humidity has been surprisingly fine but I will keep the lid on more often than I usually do.. I try to give him a variety but I only have store bought options as of right now.. do you have any suggestions for store bought food to give him? I am looking on this forum for more food but if you have a food you use and works better than most I would love to know.. thank you so much for the feed back I really appreciate it.. i did try to prepare for it but a lot of the information I got seems to be wrong and this forum has been really helpful so I really do appreciate you for helping out

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your enclosure is rather bare. Baby tortoises are prey, and they very seldom wander out into a wide open space like what you have provided. Add a few potted plants to close it in a bit and give the baby more cover.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, I would try to make it more enclosed. This will also help keep heat up along with humidity.
As for foods, I understand you have to use grocery greens. A lot of us do during winter. But try to add curly endive, arugula, ridicchio, small amounts of mustard and collard greens and kale. If you can find optunia cactus pads. Dandelion is also sold in stores.
There are also a few places that you can buy dried weeds and flowers to top the greens with that makes the greens a healthier choice. Check out @Kapidolo Farms and Tortoisesupply.com

ChinoCochino33

Burlington Ontario
Your enclosure is rather bare. Baby tortoises are prey, and they very seldom wander out into a wide open space like what you have provided. Add a few potted plants to close it in a bit and give the baby more cover
Ah ok thank you I’ll add some of my plants into it..

ChinoCochino33

Burlington Ontario
Yes, I would try to make it more enclosed. This will also help keep heat up along with humidity.
As for foods, I understand you have to use grocery greens. A lot of us do during winter. But try to add curly endive, arugula, ridicchio, small amounts of mustard and collard greens and kale. If you can find optunia cactus pads. Dandelion is also sold in stores.
There are also a few places that you can buy dried weeds and flowers to top the greens with that makes the greens a healthier choice. Check out @Kapidolo Farms and Tortoisesupply.com
Thank you very much I’ll try the arugula since he doesn’t seem to eat dandelion or collard greens as much

ChinoCochino33

Burlington Ontario
Your enclosure is rather bare. Baby tortoises are prey, and they very seldom wander out into a wide open space like what you have provided. Add a few potted plants to close it in a bit and give the baby more cover.
So do you think That could be the reason why he hasn’t really been eating or waking up? Hopefully after I put in more plants and a better lid today he’ll start to eat on his own

ChinoCochino33

Burlington Ontario
Would you recommend this packaged for meant for testudo species? It has hay and dried up weeds and greens, but I know sometimes these packaged foods aren’t always reliable

Attachments

• D72213E7-150B-49F8-ABD4-87D4E003AD84.png
    D72213E7-150B-49F8-ABD4-87D4E003AD84.png
    220.8 KB · Views: 2