Bite on neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Oak- my male- has just got bitten by one of my definite females-no question about the sex whatsoever. I was feeding them mushrooms-they always are competitive over mushrooms- outside in the sun when Caramel started trying to turn Oak over and grabbing the mushroom. Then she bit his neck and held on for around 15-20 seconds, only coming off when I turned her on her back. She has drawn blood and got rid of the skin, but it is not a big cut-small toenail size. Usually I would disinfect the cut and everything, but since hingebacks are prone to stress, I am wondering what to do. Do I just leave him in his enclosure and hope it heals up-he does spend a lot of time in his bath so that will clear out some stuff from the wound?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Had the same happen to yearlings emys emys. When fed certain foods like mushrooms or papaya they get aggressive and competitive with each other for the food. But far by worst is when they see a worm, they hiss and will bite each others faces fighting for it. I feed these competitive foods separately.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
It's any protein thing for these guys, be that funghi to dog pellets. I did feed them all separately and the outdoor enclosure is a very large space, but the female came over and attacked him. I suppose maybe I should take them out into little plastic boxes whenever I feed proteins.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I'm thinking you need a sterile tub with newspaper or paper towels indoor away from flies, etc. Then rinse withe clean water and put on a ointment. Keeping the flies away is your biggest issue. Info based on what I've done for my Russians and reading on this forum; but I don't consider myself to be a expert.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
That is my dilemma, usually I would do what you said above if it happened with my reds, but hinges can stress easily and I am worried about it. There are a few flies in their enclosure so will try and get rid of them. Is there anything very mild I can use to disinfect?

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Trippel antibiotoc, or mix. 50 % water 50% hydrogen peroxide. I used it on my turtles and it worked perfectly fine, never had any infections

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

I actually used first the water solution washed it out, and then I used an Q tip put the triple antibiotic cream or ointment on and put it on the wund

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
These guys have not beeen exhibiting any stress with you so far have they? I would treat as you would have if it was a redfoot. The stres issue is with new WC, as a rule.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
They have. I've had a fair few incidents of climbing the walls and stuff. So separate him into a sterile tub then? Sandra, is that volume or weight?

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I take 3 table spoons water and.3 table spoons of the peroxide

when you do it be careful so that it doesn't get into the eyes. I use a syringe without the need of course. you know the one what you get from your vet when you have to give them any liquid a dog. I put it in there and then I squirt it all over the wund so that its nice and clean, then I use the ointment, you will see your total will feel much better and its Healing much quicker and also you will have no infection

do it once to twice daily

when you see its getting better you can do it every other day until it's healed

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Ok, I've ordered some 9% hydrogen peroxide, labelled as a mild treatment for cuts, scratches etc., and I will separate Oak today into a poly box with wet towels on the bottom.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
9% is too strong to use undiluted. What they sell here is 3%.
FLINTUS said:
Ok, I've ordered some 9% hydrogen peroxide, labelled as a mild treatment for cuts, scratches etc., and I will separate Oak today into a poly box with wet towels on the bottom.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
I diluted it to 50/50 as the instructions advised, even tried it on one of my cuts and barely felt it. I have applied it everyday, but it was healing well without it and is now almost healed.

Status
Not open for further replies.