Big Red the iguana spotted

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This is the first photo of Big Red I've been able to snap. He lives here at my job and is the first over five foot long iguana that I've seen since the cold snap of a couple years ago that killed most of them.
I've seen male iguanas of only a few feet showing off dominant male coloration. But this guy is the KING.
Hopefully there will soon be more giants. But for now, this will do.

20151209_093918.jpg 20151209_093918-1.jpg 20151209_093918-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very nice. Hope you can see him many more times and get more pics. I remember seeing about 15-20 outside a restaurant on the water about 10 years ago. I couldn't believe how many were there. It was a very cool and exciting site to see.

AnimalLady

Haha, this was like a "Where's Waldo". Had fun looking for him in that first pic! I thought to look everywhere but the tree, go figure!

Drive down Ockeechobee if you wanna see more.. those suckers are everywhere!!!!!!!!!

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Coooool. Is this a native variety? or is there no such thing?

I saw a Bizarre Foods where they were hunting them in the Keys with pellet guns. Claimed they were invasive, eating all of the birds eggs?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Coooool. Is this a native variety? or is there no such thing?

I saw a Bizarre Foods where they were hunting them in the Keys with pellet guns. Claimed they were invasive, eating all of the birds eggs?
They aren't native to Florida. They came in through the pet trade.
There is however an unanswered possibility of there being a cold tolerant Florida strain. But that is not a proven fact. Just an observation and theory.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Ahhhhhhh I see.

When we were in Puerto Rico, there were some HUGE ones all over the golf course at the resort. I don't golf, but we would ride the carts around Iguana spotting haha. Easily 4-5 footers there, with signs everywhere warning people to be careful driving and watch your step.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The larger ones don't run away. They will stand their ground and use their tails as a whip.
The dominant male of the group or area will usually be orange or red. Watch out for that one. They generally have no fear.

AnimalLady

I'm scared of all of them. Small ones, medium ones, orange ones, blue ones, ALL OF THEM. I wouldnt dare get near one of those! I'm not into self torture :D

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Yeah, we kept our distance..... They definitely would not move out of the way for anything. when they found their basking spot, that was it for a few hours at least. Would have been interesting to see somebody putting around one on the green!

AnimalLady

I'm more interested in the lily pads behind him.. any of them actually have flowers on them? :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
That is a handsome fellow! I'd have to grab him and take a selfie!
Been there. Done that. Bled for hours.
They will bite if they get the chance and the tail is a formidable whip/weapon! But it's the claws that get you. They are very, very sharp and I guess they are also full of bacteria so I'm told because you will not only get cut up by them, but then the wounds will itch like crazy.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
What a beautiful fellow ! :)
The first pics were a bit 'hmmmmmm', especially with my eyesight, but that canal photo!
Wow, he's gorgeous!