Big Jack the Hermann Tortoise (After Jackie Charlton) My first Tortoise.

Dbrosnan09

Location (City and/or State)
Heckmondwike
Hello everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself (Dan) and my seven-month-old Hermann (Big Jack). Just a couple of queries as this is my first ever tortoise, and really I have no real knowledge hence my panic. Since getting Jack two days ago, I have read as much as I can, yet I still find myself slightly panicking. The photos that I have attached below show his enclosure and temperature directly under the heat lamp showing around 35 degrees; however, when I place my hand underneath, it does not particulary feel hot (Is this normal?).

Secondly, I am also slightly worried after reading lots about the importance of humidity; I have some Moss arriving later today and was wondering when damp, will this be sufficient enough to create enough Humidity? And or does spraying the substrate I am using with water help?

Any suggestions, tips or general ideas of how you think my closure is or how I could improve his situation. In there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All Big Jackie.jpegJack Enclosure Pic.jpeg
Dan!!!!!!!!

shawngt2

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Toronto
Hello everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself (Dan) and my seven-month-old Hermann (Big Jack). Just a couple of queries as this is my first ever tortoise, and really I have no real knowledge hence my panic. Since getting Jack two days ago, I have read as much as I can, yet I still find myself slightly panicking. The photos that I have attached below show his enclosure and temperature directly under the heat lamp showing around 35 degrees; however, when I place my hand underneath, it does not particulary feel hot (Is this normal?).

Secondly, I am also slightly worried after reading lots about the importance of humidity; I have some Moss arriving later today and was wondering when damp, will this be sufficient enough to create enough Humidity? And or does spraying the substrate I am using with water help?

Any suggestions, tips or general ideas of how you think my closure is or how I could improve his situation. In there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All
Dan!!!!!!!!
Hi Dan, Welcome to the Forum! You are already doing the right thing by writing here for help. He is going to be just fine as long as you heed advice of the pros in this forum (not myself, lol).

First, you need to read the care sheet thread "stickies" that is in the top of the Hermann's forum page, either by Tom or HermaniiChris. They are the best guidelines out there and I am following Tom's more or less precisely with amazing results.

About your heat light, not sure what kind of light that is (bulb in fixture or only bulb) but looks a little on the small side. Spot bulbs are generally avoided because they are too concentrated in head (think dry out tortoise shell) and my preference is to stick with a regular round bulb (the kind you used to use at home prior to LEDs). You can or not have that bulb in a reflective dome fixture to spread out the heat more evenly. I find the dome fixtures save energy as the heat isn't dispersed everywhere in the enclosure so much. Also, is that just a temperature probe? The 35C you want is the surface the tortoise will bask at (the floor). You need to get the probe temp there and yes it should feel warm, but your current location should show higher than 35C since it is closer to the bulb. Put the probe on the floor for a few days and monitor. You should have the light on a dimmer so you can increase or decrease the temp to the desired temp, tape it so the dimmer doesn't move/rotate and then you are all set. Keep the probe there permanently to always be sure all is good or check regularly.

About substrate, again check the care sheet. I wouldn't recommend soil as you have, it's messy and possible to ingest. Do not recommend moss. I personally use reptibark which is 100% pure fir bark and recommended. It is excellent in a 4" layer and you mist heavily, mix around and it keeps humidity for days depending on how ideal your enclosure is. Your enclosure looks great and hope there are some vent holes or slots in back or sides just to create some circulation but not too much to dry out the air. They should be near the top and warm air rises and would create a "slight" chimney effect within the enclosure, which is idea. Not too much though or your humidity is going to be impossible to control. You want a nice high ambient humidity (target >70%RH and even higher in the humid hide by giving a light spray every day so that it is moist during the night when he chooses to go to bed. Are you monitoring humidity? Also, would recommend some more objects for him to crawl on and get cover in. I have a small pot with a spider plant and some fake silk plants hanging in the back of my enclosure (which he never tries to eat).

UVB, What are you using for UV? Your Tort needs UVB to be healthy and synthesize Calcium. Florescent bulbs recommended (not the coil kind) like T8 or T5 bulbs and he needs 3-4 UVI at the floor and best to be set and monitored with a SolarMeter. The UV should be located where the basking heat is so the "converge" to replicate the sun (heat and UV simultaneously).

I would also invest in a cave like hide for him where moisture is easy to keep (not too wet!) and he can burrow himself in for the night. The one you have now is a little "open". I have several hides and he seems to prefer the half log awards the daytime warm end (as he goes to sleep before the night cycle begins) and burrows himself in the moist fir bark. I make sure I give some good direct sprays later in the day so that it is perfect before he retires every night. lol

Read the care sheet and please continue to ask questions. Would be good to get a photo facing upwards of your enclosure. Prepare to spend money and time to get everything right. I did the same, brought home my little guy, spent a boat load and got everything perfect within a few days. You don't want to wait too long, as problems could start to happen which could be irreversible.

Sorry if I scared you in any way, again, you are on the right track!

Cheers, Shawn

shawngt2

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Toronto
Here's a photo of my setup for reference

Attachments

• tempImageNTmcHh.png
    tempImageNTmcHh.png
    15 MB · Views: 12