Big Apple Herp supply heat ropes

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Okay so I just got my heat ropes in today for my new torts and I've used the 80 watt heat rope before with success, same wattage and everything. And it should be getting hot enough, 80 watts gets hot and the rope is weaved back and forth one inch apart covering the bottom. They ropes are so close together that it should get VERY hot. That's why it's hooked up to an R–Zilla Controller temperature to make sure it doesn't get too hot. Except that the controller is cutting it off to early, the substrate isn't heating. I have it set to the hottest temps and it's still not working, it's cutting the heat ropes off before they have a chance to heat up enough I'm guessing. So I tired just placing the sensor not next to the rope but in the substrate a little to see if that helps. I really need to get this to work :/

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
How are you setting it up ? Are you just weaving it around then putting substrate on top then putting the temp. Probe on top of the substrate? This is how I do it . Take your heat ropes and weave them back and forth strapped to some thing I used a grill from a two foot by four foot light fixture. You can buy them from home depot . Then put one more on top. So the tort can not dig into it . Then put substrate on top and heat probe . Pour water in a corner .the heat ropes should cycle on and off . If you cover the top of the enclosure the humidity will build slowly. But it will start to stay constant. You will have to use heat lamps and a che To keep your temperatures right . The heat rope will build your humidity.