Betty One Year Update- come back kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Bloomfield MI
When we first got betty she was in a hampster cage on crushed walnut and alfalfa. She had no lights other than a red heating lamp. Here is her first night home:
IMG_20111228_202619.jpg

This is after we gave her a new house. I thought she was perfect but you can see her shell deformity and her beak is wayyyy too long. I thought she was absolutely perfect :):
IMG_20120101_204943.jpg

IMG_20120101_205003.jpg

Her shell dented in around her irregular growth
IMG_20120101_205157.jpg

My cutest monkey
IMG_20120103_170449.jpg

She came home between Christmas and new year.
Here she is tonight a year and a month later. Her shell is not perfect but it's smooth and she is starting to grow properly. Her beak is trimmed though her bottom beak still has a deformity. She is still absolutely perfect.:D;). She has grown almost 2 inches.
2013-02-06_19-35-53_804_zps1e89a011.jpg

2013-02-06_19-42-33_199_zpsf36d848e.jpg

2013-02-06_19-42-13_964_zpsd9a72248.jpg

2013-02-06_19-36-21_559_zpsc224a561.jpg

Henry wants everyone to know he has been with us since March and has grown over an inch.
2013-02-06_19-41-50_219_zps875e197b.jpg

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Wow! What a change!! She looks sooo much better!! She is precious! :)
Oh, Henry looks great too! :)

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Wow, what an improvement! They are both beautiful!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Yeah, she is really looking good, lucky you got her and got things going in the right direction! Great job, and he looks good also.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Thanks everyone. Having them both has been so amazing. They are both so full of personalities. After the soak I put them back in their cages and started making dinner. I was chopping veggies and henry was knocking on the wall of his enclosure frantically. Bettuce ran up on top of her hide and launched herself at the side of her enclosure. I had to give them a snack for fear that they were going to hurt themselves.
Anyone ever seen a flying tortoise? man to have a camera ready then. She was fine other than being mad at me like I threw her.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
What an improvement, glad to see that tortoise in a good home. Well done!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Wow is right. What a transformation. Betty looks beautiful.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great job. She looks like she is well fed:D The way her shell looked when you first got her was really different. Like someone put a smaller shell on top of a bigger shell. Looks much better today. Great job with both of them. I think you need to set up a motion camera. I want to see The Great Flying Mad Tortoise.:)

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
wellington said:
Great job. She looks like she is well fed:D The way her shell looked when you first got her was really different. Like someone put a smaller shell on top of a bigger shell. Looks much better today. Great job with both of them. I think you need to set up a motion camera. I want to see The Great Flying Mad Tortoise.:)

I used to have dog webcams but they just slept and occasionally scratched all day. I need to get some for the torts.
I feed her a huge variety of greens. I try to change it up weekly using both high and lower nutritional greens with calcium powder two or three times a week. I also put calcium blocks in their cages.
I knew she looked better but was absolutely horrified and amazed when I found her first pics. I was so upset when someone told me her beak was too long. Then I put rocks in as recommended by the forum and her beak broke on the sides. I rushed her to the vet haha. He told me she was fine. She broke it again and I rushed her back again :p
I am less of a spaz now.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I here ya. I think almost all of us were spaz in the beginning. Nice that we aren't ever alone, when it comes to these guys. :)

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Wow! She looks great! I too would love to see video of the flying turtle :p

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Kerryann, you're amazing! What a difference loving care makes, ay? Love to hear these types of stories. Betsy IS perfect!!!!! So is Henry.=D

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
She was so tiny like a baby back then too. She's my big girl now. She already outgrew the first hide I bought her, now she is having to stuff herself in her current hide. I can't believe how tiny she was back then. I'd like to go back in time and resmooch her little tiny face and tell her it would all be okay. :D

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
What an incredible difference a loving home and knowledge made for her, it is so nice to hear successful outcomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.