Better Way to Soak

Status
Not open for further replies.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Other than soaking the Torts in a bowl or plastic container is there a cleaner way to accomplish this?

I have 3 youngsters, each one will make pea soup look appetizing compared to the mess they make in their bath tub container. Nasty to clean.

Has anyone experimented with a flowing open system? Like using a bath container with a hole in the wall to allow the waste to exit? I was thinking of trying this using a 5 gallon bucket, a 1/4" ID (6mm) siphon and the bath container. Depending on the siphon diameter and height the 5 gallon bucket could be the timer for bath time.

5 gallon bucket empties into the bath container, the waste goes out the hole.

Theory is that the bath container would always have clean water like a stream.

The waste water would just flow out onto the grass.

Ideas?

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I gues sthat could work, what about letting them get there poops out the giving them play water

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Did not quite understand that.

I have never seen them drink water so i believe they are drinking the filthy bath water.

I bought a second water dish today. It's one of those mini clear plastic planter trays. Whopping $0.10 at the PX/BX.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think Terra means to wait until they foul the water, then dump it and put in clean.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Another option is to have two containers for each tort when you soak. When/if they soil the first one, move them to the second one that is ready and waiting. That goes with the suggestion to change the bath water immediately after it is soiled anyways. I think the flowing system sounds interesting. I would love more details if you can get it to work. I would imagine some of the obstacles would be not having too strong of a flow, making sure the flow actually takes away the contaminants and not just the water, and making sure it is safe for hatchlings (probably fine since you are there watching I assume).

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
The hatchlings poop faster than you could transfer them or change the water.

Yes, a gentle flow. Gravity won't really pull too much through something like 1/4 hose. I'm off tomorrow so I'll try it with an oil drain pan.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Just remember that if it works, you need to patent it quickly. :p

A year from now you'll be rich and we'll all be your customers! ;)

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Stephanie Logan said:
Just remember that if it works, you need to patent it quickly. :p

A year from now you'll be rich and we'll all be your customers! ;)

Cute Steph. Le bain de tortue?

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
webskipper said:
Le bain de tortue?

Eureka!

Few seconds of assembly and the auto zwemmer lasts a little over 30 minutes! Poops are automatically flushed out of the bath leaving your pet feeling clean and refreshed after the spa.

Items Used:
*$6.00 generic siphon I found at the hardware store with squeeze bulb, 1/4 ID
*$3.00 5 gallon bucket
*$3.00 12'' diameter clear planter tray.
--------
$12.00 investment for healthier pets

Mind you that this siphon I used is rare to find at the Fish Pet Shops. The brand is Lubrimatic so it was probably designed for siphoning fuel (petro). i used a store bought siphon to show how inexpensive it is to create this. You can also just buy the hose in bulk and manually start the siphon. Your hands are dirty from handling the torts anyway so handling the siphon is no worse. Just dunk the whole hose to start the siphon action.

Directions:

Use this out on the sunny patio or fire escape (apartment).

Fill the bucket and your bath container with tepid water (per species) and start the siphon. You may need to hold the siphon in the bucket with a rock or attach siphon hose to a rigid plastic hose.

Add one or more Tortoises as needed to bath. Relax. 5 gallons will last 30 minutes before the Auto Bather is finished. Manually rinse.

The patio worked out pretty well for this experiment. The presents were flushed towards the roses. Thats gotta be good fertilizer.

DSC00890.jpg

DSC00891.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm glad you are happy with your creation! Those hatchlings are absolutely gorgeous.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Tom said:
I'm glad you are happy with your creation! Those hatchlings are absolutely gorgeous.

Thanks man. Got them from our CGKeith in January. Born sometime around Fall. Not sure. They are over 50 grams now. Keith hand picked them from different broods because I was looking for color.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL!! You even have some little "presents" there on the cement. As you know...we Love poop!

Where ya been? Haven't seen you post in a while.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
webskipper said:
Tom said:

Thanks man. Got them from our CGKeith in January. Born sometime around Fall. Not sure. They are over 50 grams now. Keith hand picked them from different broods because I was looking for color.

Well you got color! I pulled the pics on to my "desk top" and zoomed, but I'd love to see some close ups. They are truly stunning.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Nice invention! :D

As long as one doesn't have to suck on the hose to get it started...:p

I think that photo shows the most poop I've seen on the forum in a long time...thanks for doing your part to keep the TFO standards up! ;)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I still prefer to place each tortoise in seperate containers. For a couple of reasons. First, so that one was not drinking in the wastes of another tortoise. I use individual "shoeboxes" for young tortoises. Tilted upward about a 1/2". The tortoises are placed in the deeper end where the water is and when they're done drinking they move upward out of the water and away from their wastes when they're done. Second, I would prefer to keep the wastes "captured" since it is a perfect time to visually examine it for any would be problems.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Stephanie Logan said:
As long as one doesn't have to suck on the hose to get it started...:p

Thank Steph- you inspired me give something back to the TFO community.

Just stick the whole hose under the water then plug one end with a finger and bring the end anywhere below the bucket's water level to start the amazing siphon action.

It's so easy a cave woman can do it.

emysemys said:
LOL!! You even have some little "presents" there on the cement. As you know...we Love poop!

Where ya been? Haven't seen you post in a while.

Been very busy. Didn't want to post until I did my little project.

BabyBsober

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
webskipper said:
Le bain de tortue?

Eureka!

Few seconds of assembly and the auto zwemmer lasts a little over 30 minutes! Poops are automatically flushed out of the bath leaving your pet feeling clean and refreshed after the spa.

Items Used:
*$6.00 generic siphon I found at the hardware store with squeeze bulb, 1/4 ID
*$3.00 5 gallon bucket
*$3.00 12'' diameter clear planter tray.
--------
$12.00 investment for healthier pets

Mind you that this siphon I used is rare to find at the Fish Pet Shops. The brand is Lubrimatic so it was probably designed for siphoning fuel (petro). i used a store bought siphon to show how inexpensive it is to create this. You can also just buy the hose in bulk and manually start the siphon. Your hands are dirty from handling the torts anyway so handling the siphon is no worse. Just dunk the whole hose to start the siphon action.

Directions:

Use this out on the sunny patio or fire escape (apartment).

Fill the bucket and your bath container with tepid water (per species) and start the siphon. You may need to hold the siphon in the bucket with a rock or attach siphon hose to a rigid plastic hose.

Add one or more Tortoises as needed to bath. Relax. 5 gallons will last 30 minutes before the Auto Bather is finished. Manually rinse.

The patio worked out pretty well for this experiment. The presents were flushed towards the roses. Thats gotta be good fertilizer.

[/quote]

I love it. Next payday I'm there...i may even have it in my change jars. Oh wait, i'm sure i have all those things lying around my house! WHOO HOO 8)
And i have to agree the KIDS are absolutely goregous :D

Status
Not open for further replies.