better to get a hatchling or a juvenile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
northern new york
well i recently went to a pet shop around where i live and ive been wanting to get another sulcata since my little meatball passed away, he was a 6 month old hatchling sulcata, and it makes me think i should tend to get a older tortoise. the pet store i went to has 2-3 yr old sulcatas for a reasonable price. should i just go with another hatchling or is it safer to get a older tortoise?

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Yearlings or older are much easier to care for than hatchlings. I've had great luck with 3 year old and older torts in the past.

tortoiselady528

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
I would suggest a yearling.
While hatchlings can be very rewarding, they are much more fragile and can turn bad quickly.
While I'm sure you know every tortoise is at risk, hatchlings are much more vulnerable.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
yeah im pretty set on a older tortoise anyways. my hatchling that passed away died of a respiratory disease that he caught from my older sulcata. thanks for all the info!

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi..I agree that an older one is much less fragile...if it is healthy when you get it. Also, make sure you keep it in quarantine...away from any other torts...for at least 90 days. During that time, take a poop sample to your reptile vet at least twice. And it would be best to not put a small tort with a big one for several reasons. Also, don't know if you know it, but don't put different species together if you decide to get a different species.
Do you still have the other tort that had a RI?
Good luck
Patsy

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
yeah, my oldest sulcata mortimer had a RI but i took him to the vet and they give him nasal drops and he got alot better thank god. yeah i plan on getting another sulcata, and i plan on putting him with my other sulcatas after i quarantine him for a bit

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
They dont always get along... If you have a really large area for them to live in, the chances are better, but they will find each other and fight. I have two that were raised together and so far so good, but I watch them. They are in a 60x100 foot area.

Status
Not open for further replies.