Best way to measure shell and weight

Chloe2003

I just purchased a tiny scale so I can weight weekly to make sure my little guy is gaining. What is the best way to measure shell growth? I've looked for a post explaining but have had no luck. Sorry for all the questions I just want to be as prepared as possible. If there is a post could someone post a link. TIA

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Calipers are useful for small animals. I've also taken pictures with them on graph paper; I think it is a better representation than either numbers or pictures by themselves.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Put its face against the wall so the shell is touching the wall (don't worry he'll suck his head in). Then use a tape measure to measure its length. A micrometer is the most accurate but not many own one.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Micrometers are not always expensive. I got one at Harbor Freight for $8. I really wish I had done the graph paper thing...what a GREAT idea... @jaizei
Maybe I'll start doing it next week...when the ITs turn 9 months! ;)

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
A while back one of our members, and I forget who it was, traced the outline of their tortoise each time. It wasn't precise measuring, but it really did show the growth progression very well.