Best way to keep your tortoise smelling clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SideShowMel0329

5 Year Member
My spurred thigh (3 months old) kind of smells funky, even though I soak him daily. I even hose him down with the sink sprayer but he still has an unpleasant scent...

Should I start mixing soap in his bath? Any other ways to keep him smelling nice?

Masin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
I'm not sure, our girly is only about 8 months (estimated) and I've never noticed a smell. Is your little ones shell healthy and in good shape? What substrate are you using? Hm.

SideShowMel0329

5 Year Member
Masin said:
I'm not sure, our girly is only about 8 months (estimated) and I've never noticed a smell. Is your little ones shell healthy and in good shape? What substrate are you using? Hm.

Cocosoft...and he seems healthy, he eats, moves around a lot

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No you can't use soap on him. Some baby shampoo might be okay, however, I would 't use it very often. I think you should check him over really good. There might be something medically making him smell.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I never noticed that my tortoises smell. Are you sure there is no poop stuck to him?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Another thing I thought of. Is his cage being kept clean? If he is always walking over poop and pee and rotting food, I would imagine he would smell.

chris_m90731

5 Year Member
Used to soak my Sulcata, up until he reached the 80 pound mark, and lightly scrub him with a diluted solution of hydrogen peroxide. Was great for treating any tiny scratches he may have incurred from living in his huge pen and also shored up that strong tort odor...

crussellii

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
What about dawn dish soap. They use it them during oil spills and what not. In sure a small amount wouldn't hurt. But I'm a newbie so please check further into it.

SideShowMel0329

5 Year Member
I guess the risk of using soap is that they may drink the water, but I think I may try it out (and be careful about it)

crussellii

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Use a wash cloth then rinse him off. Then you won't have to worry. Then soak him afterwards or vice versa.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
crussellii said:
What about dawn dish soap. They use it them during oil spills and what not. In sure a small amount wouldn't hurt. But I'm a newbie so please check further into it.

My partner said they wash kittens etc in it and it kills fleas. Crazy. I don't want to know what chemicals that stuff is made out of. But some folks love it.
I use my own handmade soap or as pure of soap as possible on myself and the family.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The secret to Dawn dish soap is that it has petroleum-based chemicals in it- that is what helps it do so well against other petroleums.

A healthy tortoise really does not smell bad, but bacterial infections stink as do things like stuck-on poo, poo in the habitat, old food in the habitat, 'sour' substrates, etc. I suppose diet could make it smell, but I am not sure how.

Take a big whiff of the habitat- does it smell much? A properly managed habitat should not smell of much more then soil or wood. If the habitat does not smell but the tortoise does, even after a bath, you may want to think about checking for possible disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.