Best treat to entice med consumption

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
Hi all, Max, my baby Russian tortoise is on his second week of oral meds and has decided that he is no longer into the canned pumpkin I've been using to adhere the drops to his greens. He also is not a fan of carrots, so I'm assuming the same will apply to squash.

I've never given him fruit or veggies, just greens and weeds. Is there a safe something of the fruit or veg variety that I could try in a very small quantity just for the sake of getting the meds in?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The tortoises that I medicate are pretty big, so it's easy to get pills into them. I use a drinking straw and punch a hole in anything edible...the most common thing I use is zucchini, but I've used strawberries, apple, cantaloupe...any firm piece of fruit or veggie that you can punch a hole in. Then I push the capsule into the hole. If you're using liquid meds, draw it up into a syringe and inject it into the fruit or veggie. Mazuri will work too.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Cucumber is a hit!

Now, after he ate, he's got some bubbles coming out of his nose. Could this be the moisture from the cucumber bubbling out? He has been doing great for the last few days and seems to be a happy camper even now.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Bubbles have stopped. Occasionally he bubbles once or twice right after eating. Sometimes I wonder if he was ever sick at all! As I learn more, I think he was so active when we first got him because he was looking for "home". Now that he's settled he snoozes, basks, and hides more...which is actually normal baby behaviour....which I maybe mistook for lethargy.

Sigh, live and learn. At least he's healthy, I think!