Best Tortoise Breeders and Sellers

wandawhite5

Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Tx
I am really thankful for this Tortoise forum. I am in the process of looking for a breeder to purchase my first tortoise. I need to find out the best ones out there so I can avoid the scammers. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The best source would be someone who is working specifically with the species in which you are interested and who keeps up on the latest information on husbandry/breeding/incubation techniques. Most of the active breeders here on the forum are here to share and learn - so I would say finding a good breeder here is a great start.

First thing is - what species are you looking for?

Reactions: Tom

wandawhite5

San Antonio, Tx
The best source would be someone who is working specifically with the species in which you are interested and who keeps up on the latest information on husbandry/breeding/incubation techniques. Most of the active breeders here on the forum are here to share and learn - so I would say finding a good breeder here is a great start.

First thing is - what species are you looking for?
Thank you for your response. I am leaning towards a Russian or Herman's but I also like the Redfoots.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thank you for your response. I am leaning towards a Russian or Herman's but I also like the Redfoots.
Then... what I would do if I were you,

Look throught those sections of this forum and first read and digest the care sheets and see what best fits your desires and situation/location.

Look for the people posting there with lots of posts (Messages) listed in their avatar and those who will mention breeding. A good breeder these days will most often be fairly aware of other good keepers/breeder who also deal in their species of choice. IF they are not, they are not staying open to new ideas and techniques that are being tested by the more progressive looking breeders. Reach out to and message those breeders you see there. They can recommend if they do not have any available currently. You can even post here in the open forum once you've decided on a species that you are looking for a good breeder of Russian Tortoises, for example. You will get replies to that specific question.