Best size tortoise enclosure

kushchair09

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Plano, Texas
Hi, I have three tortoises and I just recently moved them all into their own zoo med tortoise house. One of my tortoises seems sad and won't eat. It got me wondering what the optimal size is for an enclosure for a Russian tortoise. Please help.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
A zoo med tortoise house is 2 feet by 3 feet, which is not large enough. Especially with that hide they have on one end. Take out the entrance wall to that hide and that will at least give a little more walking around room.

I would say go as big as you can with the enclosure, but I'd go with a minimum of a 4 foot x 4 foot box.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Three adult Russians? Minimum 4x8' in my opinion. And a much larger outdoor enclosure for fair weather.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I think he plans on housing them each separately? At least that's what it sounded like to me.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
If you have the enclosures already, is there a way to expand it or add to it so that it becomes larger? Like Tom said, 4' x 8' min. Perhaps you can build something that attaches to the current enclosure that would allow the torts to roam around in a larger space. Also, whenever torts are moved into another environment, it stresses them out. Give them some more time to adjust while you think of a way to expand their space.:)

WillTort2

5 Year Member
If you can't make a bigger footprint for the enclosures then try adding a second story. The ramp will be a good exercise method for your Russian. They are avid climbers.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If you mean you have each of your 3 Russian tortoises in their own enclosure, then it would be ideal to make them larger. You could leave the smallest tortoise in one Zoomed for now. Then combine two Zoomeds together (check Youtube for a video on how to do this).
Then look for a used wood bookcase on Freecycle or Craigslist, remove shelves and turn it on it's side and line with a tarp for the third.

Perhaps eventually you can set up an outside area with logs,plants and rocks, and they may be able to live together there.