Best Seed Recommendations?

AMA904

Hi everyone. I'm looking to get a Hermann's tortoise in a few months, but wanted to start growing out the enclosure now. What seed mixes would you recommend that would give the tortoise a good (safe) variety? Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You can also plant grape vines (for the leaves), lavatera, hibiscus, blue hibiscus, any of the squash plants are excellent for both the leaves and blooms to eat and great shade cover.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I've used mesclun lettuce blend seeds too, you can get a packet just about in any garden center right now.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Tom but it come back every year or at least mine does ( clover )

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

AMA904

I'm in Florida so heat is a problem, but I will have a shaded part in the enclosure

AMA904

Is there any problem with buying a packet of wild flower seeds from Home Depot or Lowes and planting them in the enclosure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is there any problem with buying a packet of wild flower seeds from Home Depot or Lowes and planting them in the enclosure?

Yes. It could be. Most of the "Wild Flower" seed packets that I have seen include some that are toxic. It will depend on which seeds are in the one you buy.

AMA904

Yes. It could be. Most of the "Wild Flower" seed packets that I have seen include some that are toxic. It will depend on which seeds are in the one you buy.

What flowers should I stay away from then?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are websites that list all sorts of them. A little Internet searching should turn up lots of "Do not feed" lists for you.

M

Maggie Cummings

Hmm Tom, I didn't know that. And I pretty much thought a tortoise would instinctively know after one bite it was bad for him. I thought toxic tasted bad.

StuMac

5 Year Member
Is Hibiscus available to buy in the UK? I've seen it mentioned on here a lot, and also on the tortoise table site with all the suitable flowers. I want to be able to plant some things in my tort garden for shade and fresh food. Just not sure which would be best, as the site has lots of Latin names very rarely written on the seed packets here.