Best pre made indoor RF enclosure?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
It's really cheap to make one . I spent $40 on material to make my Russian tortoise hatchling setup. I just finished it last night ( still needs more substrate adding today) get my babes tonight ❤️Hope this helped . I also posted a thread of step by step pictures of how we built it . I will post the finish picture with the hatchling today

Except a Red needs to be kept with proper humidity and it can't be achieved with an open top enclosure.

Janelle Green

Colorado
Oh ya I don't know much about red foots sorry , well I've seen tortoise tables that have Plexi glass covering half ? Just an idea tons of great ideas and plans on Pinterest

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
That is beautiful! So large-- I love it! Mine are still babies, so I too need high humidity. I wish I had the skill to build one, but I'm sure that if I tried, I would nail my finger to the cage....

Janelle Green

Colorado
image.jpeg I just got 2 Russian tortoise babies today they will be year old December 5th, was only supposed to get one but she gave me one for free because she's moving and she has to many right now needs space and we've become good friends , I let her come check my house out and all the tortoise's enclosures today. I just got my babies today I call them my girls because I have 2 sons and I'm out numbered in this house lol . The tortoise table was really easy to make just took us all day because we have 2 young kids and they were non stop getting into it and trying to "help" lol. It's a lot cheaper than a glass tank set up and seriously very easy thank gosh for my husband of he made 75% of it lol. Post pictures of yours when you get one made! I love seeing other peoples enclosures so unique. They also sell tortoise tables on eBay for under $100. My enclosures only a 2x4ft right now cuz their hatchlings but once they grow it'll be a lot bigger and they'll spend most year outside just not winter of coarse.

Janelle Green

Colorado
I saw online a coffee table that was a tortoise enclosure soo neat! Probably best for the tortoises that need more humidity and are smaller so cool though wish I had one

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
I am having such a hard time controlling temps in my exo terra tank right now and I know it isn't big enough for my baby RF so I want to upgrade. I've read that Boa tanks are good, but I am having a hard time finding one. Is there a good website to check out for tanks? I was thinking a 100 gallon would work. I wish I could find one already set up for a RF.

Thanks!

Did you get your AP enclosure? I just paid for mine today. I paid just under $1000 for the largest one. Looking like 3-4 weeks away. Do you love it? I'm not handy at all, so I bought all the fixtures and mailed them to AP for mounting. I got a ton of help from members of the forum-- you can see the diagrams on a thread started by me about lighting an AP cage. Mark84 was incredibly helpful, and you may want to check his lighting recommendations.

I hope your enclosure is perfect!

Please send pics and recommendations if you have any!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Personally I don't think there Is a premade enclosure that is big enough or even close to worth the price for 150 i can build a 6x3 or 8x4 enclosure give or take 20 bucks ( not counting tools which I was given). I wasn't handy at all when I started building my enclosures only been doing it for 3-4 years now, and I've come a long way it's all about learning and patients really plan it before you build.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Personally I don't think there Is a premade enclosure that is big enough or even close to worth the price for 150 i can build a 6x3 or 8x4 enclosure give or take 20 bucks ( not counting tools which I was given). I wasn't handy at all when I started building my enclosures only been doing it for 3-4 years now, and I've come a long way it's all about learning and patients really plan it before you build.

That sounds great! Do you have some pictures? Are yours closed chambers? I would love to learn more.

Thanks!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I do have pict
That sounds great! Do you have some pictures? Are yours closed chambers? I would love to learn more.

Thanks!

One I'm in the process of finishing I'm right at 140 for everything which includes the outside paint inside water sealer all the wood and screws and silicone a sliding track and 2 sliding glass doors for the track I'm on a phone so I'm not sure if I can load the photo but here goes

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Well that xidny
I do have pict

One I'm in the process of finishing I'm right at 140 for everything which includes the outside paint inside water sealer all the wood and screws and silicone a sliding track and 2 sliding glass doors for the track I'm on a phone so I'm not sure if I can load the photo but here goes

Well that didn't work lol I'll share some photos as soon as I have computer access or someone explains how to on a phone lol

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon

Thanks!
Here we go I think I figured it out. It's still not done letting it all cure and dry for a week it's 6ftx2 1/2ft and 2 ft tall took me about 3-4 days to make it fully just letting stuff dry between coats

Attachments

• 1486516093486.jpg
    1486516093486.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 30

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
That's beautiful. You should sell them. Do you have the time?

I looked for 6 months before I bit the bullet and ordered an Animal Plastics cage 8ft x 3ft x2ft. I wish I had met you then!

Consider posting your pics and prices in the for sale section? I still may need an additional enclosure, so if you do end up selling, I would love to keep you in mind.

That's some really nice work!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
That's beautiful. You should sell them. Do you have the time?

I looked for 6 months before I bit the bullet and ordered an Animal Plastics cage 8ft x 3ft x2ft. I wish I had met you then!

Consider posting your pics and prices in the for sale section? I still may need an additional enclosure, so if you do end up selling, I would love to keep you in mind.

That's some really nice work!

Yea I've considered selling them before but the problem is shipping that cage you bough probably cost a couple hundred in shipping alone but dang I didn't even know they sold em that big can't wait to see it

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I have been scanning the local herp club Facebook pages and criag's list for vision cages. Using 18 inches as a minimum height I've found many at about half the new price. Some in great shape some not so great shape. I've removed the aluminum grid air vents and used silicone tube caulk to place 1/2 insulation foam board over all the venting. I put a 1.5 inch bulk head in the bottom for drainage, and am working out some other details so they are suited for tortoises.

I think what I will do for air movement is make a door insert with muffin fan set to run on a timer or thermostat.

I am plumbing drip emitters over the water dishes which overflow into the bulk head fitting, so they won't flood the enclosure itself. The water trays also have bulkhead fitting which are a smaller diameter so with a short tube they flow directly into the enclosure's bulkhead fitting. If the enclosure need higher humidity or rain I can add another emitter or two.

I'm using closet rod end support for a piece of PVC pipe that T5 HO fixture are mounted on, they end up about 12 inches from the substrate surface.

When I get a few fully up and running I'll make a thread about the project. Like many things it is taking too long. Slow and steady may win the race, but it does little for my own impatience.

Anyhow, Vision cages are also a good choice for an enclosure that does not really have tortoises in mind and are pre-built. I'm considering buying the sheets of plastic that the AP cages are made of, and making tortoise specific cages. Maybe not??

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
I have been scanning the local herp club Facebook pages and criag's list for vision cages. Using 18 inches as a minimum height I've found many at about half the new price. Some in great shape some not so great shape. I've removed the aluminum grid air vents and used silicone tube caulk to place 1/2 insulation foam board over all the venting. I put a 1.5 inch bulk head in the bottom for drainage, and am working out some other details so they are suited for tortoises.

I think what I will do for air movement is make a door insert with muffin fan set to run on a timer or thermostat.

I am plumbing drip emitters over the water dishes which overflow into the bulk head fitting, so they won't flood the enclosure itself. The water trays also have bulkhead fitting which are a smaller diameter so with a short tube they flow directly into the enclosure's bulkhead fitting. If the enclosure need higher humidity or rain I can add another emitter or two.

I'm using closet rod end support for a piece of PVC pipe that T5 HO fixture are mounted on, they end up about 12 inches from the substrate surface.

When I get a few fully up and running I'll make a thread about the project. Like many things it is taking too long. Slow and steady may win the race, but it does little for my own impatience.

Anyhow, Vision cages are also a good choice for an enclosure that does not really have tortoises in mind and are pre-built. I'm considering buying the sheets of plastic that the AP cages are made of, and making tortoise specific cages. Maybe not??

Very awesome. Please post some pics when you are done, Will. I'm sure this will be amazing.

DoctorPotterWho

Florida
Did you get your AP enclosure? I just paid for mine today. I paid just under $1000 for the largest one. Looking like 3-4 weeks away. Do you love it? I'm not handy at all, so I bought all the fixtures and mailed them to AP for mounting. I got a ton of help from members of the forum-- you can see the diagrams on a thread started by me about lighting an AP cage. Mark84 was incredibly helpful, and you may want to check his lighting recommendations.

I hope your enclosure is perfect!

Please send pics and recommendations if you have any!

Hi! I actually just got around to setting mine up today. I am having issues with the heating now... it's not supplying enough heat. I am just about to head out and get some more supplies. I am not handy either lol. If I can get the heat at the right point, it will make a fine enclosure. I also have a large outdoor enclosure for Harold as well so he gets natural light with edible plants. :)