Best kind of wood for outdoor enclosures?

Sanchez

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago,IL
I got my Florida Box Turtle over the winter and it's almost warm enough to start putting her outside! So I need to build an enclosure. I've read that pressure treated wood is the best to use, but does tree species matter at all. I've read to avoid cedar, but are hardwoods like oak or maple, etc, ok to use? Does it matter as long as I don't use cedar? If you made your own outdoor enclosure what did you use?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
On outdoor enclosures I don't worry about what kind of tree the lumber came from. I use anything and everything. If you're going to buy lumber, then buy something that will last in your climate. Here in Central California, any soft wood decomposes quickly when in contact with the ground, but I use scrap lumber, so it doesn't matter to me if it lasts or not.

Most of my scrap lumber is pine, but there's quite a bit of redwood and cedar too. It all decomposes at the same rate here.

Last edited:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
There is enough ventilation outside that you don't have to worry about the lumber. There are a lot of enclosure ideas and info in the enclosure section.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Pressure treated is good
I like the pressure-treated because I don't plan on building this enclosure more than about once. It should last years. I don't worry about the chemicals because it was outside in the elements for a good two months before my tortoise was in it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use regular plywood and 2x4s and just prime and paint it with a good exterior paint.

Eric Zukowski

Curious why you would avoid cedar? It holds up better then most other non pressure treated woods. I use pressure treated pine it's the best bang for your buck.