Best humidity reader?

Lolly_g

Could anyone recommend a good humidity reader available in the UK? I got 2 unbranded ones which don't seem to be accurate, I was really confused as the humidity is reading at 30% in a enclosed area with a fogger. I put in a different kind in and it is showing 99% which I think would be more accurate but now I'm not sure if any of them are showing the correct reading! so was looking for some recommendations of what brand you use? Thank you

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Lolly_g

Hi thank you, I also thought they would all do the same thing whatever brand but I have 3 in the tank now all with different readings!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411937487.348575.jpg

The black one is just the little box with no probe and the white one has a probe. Now I don't know whether to trust the temperature on them!

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Well depending on where they are placed they will have different readings, or should do. I would go for one with a probe definitely.

Infa red temp guns are a great way to accurately monitor temps. They will also see if your thermometers are accurate.

I think mine was from eBay.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=190824747588

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

Lolly_g

Thank you again! Their temps look good but as the humidity isn't accurate I've ordered the gun so I can double check them.

I just can't see how the humidity could be 69% different in the same enclosure, even if they are in slightly different areas surely the humidity within an enclosed area should be pretty much the same throughout. (and I'm sure the general humidity in UK households would be more then the 30% it's reading anyway) When the new ones come I'll put the probes next to each other and see how much difference there is!

Thanks for your help, I've been looking online all day but they all look pretty much the same!

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
I would guess that 99% is more accurate than 30%, in an enclosed space with a fogger (I can also see moisture in your photo).

If the probe is on the floor, you are likely to get a much greater temp gradient though, I put my humidity probe about half way up the enclosure, not on the floor.

Guess you'll just have to wait for a new one and compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum