Best Heating Options

Location (City and/or State)
London, Ontario
Julia the Leopard Tortoise is settling in nicely and her new home is coming along. She has a mercury vapour bulb for heat and UVB along with a UVB strip bulb. I am thinking of adding a waterproof, adjustable heat pet mat to her hid box. What do you use to keep proper temperatures in a large space? Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How large of a space? How old/big is she?
A pic of the enclosure will help us help you.
The mercury vapor bulbs cause pyramiding even with high humidity.
Btw, what is the humidity?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If we could see a picture of the enclosure you're trying to heat it would help us give you our best opinions.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

DJ Kirk

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
IMHO.... get rid of that vapor bulb immediately!
Not only will your tort pyramid it will damage their eyes!
I would also never use a heating mat.
Instead, use whatever wattage CHE on a thermostat you need or possibly two of them.
A heating panel on a thermostat would also be a decent choice.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
IMHO.... get rid of that vapor bulb immediately!
Not only will your tort pyramid it will damage their eyes!
I would also never use a heating mat.
Instead, use whatever wattage CHE on a thermostat you need or possibly two of them.
A heating panel on a thermostat would also be a decent choice.

• The Kane heating mats (aka pig blankets) are specifically designed to be used like many, many folks here on the Forum do. They are designed out of heavy duty industrial plastic, water proof, with an imbedded heating coil. Easily hooked up to a thermostat and provide a much more uniform non-desiccating heat/warmth than a CHE.
From their site - Since 1998, we’ve been manufacturing a line of products specially designed for pets, including solutions for pet heating. Kane Pet Heat Mats are the ideal heating solution for your dog, cat, turtle, snake, or other reptile. Our pet heating solutions are based on specially adapted heat mats, rheostats and thermostats which you can combine to provide pet heating solutions for your needs and budget.​

Osborne Stanfield®Heating Pads are ideal for kennels, zoos, animal sanctuaries, and even for your pets at home. Our fiberglass-reinforced plastic animal heating pads continue to be the safest and most economical way to promote good health and growth for your pet. Our heat pads distribute heat more evenly than other pet heating pads because of their revolutionary design. The heating element is patterned to radiate warmth across the entire length of the pad, not just at the center. The heating element is completely sealed in the pad making them water-tight.​

Crafted with the most durable plastic, the pet heating pad is tough enough to withstand chewing and scratching, and their ultra-thin profile provides pets with comfort. All Osborne Stanfield Heat Pads are proudly made in the USA at our factory in Osborne, Kansas, and are quality controlled under a strict ISO-9001 quality standard. They are CSA, CE, IEC, and PSE certified safe to operate.​

London, Ontario
London, Ontario
  • The Kane heating mats (aka pig blankets) are specifically designed to be used like many, many folks here on the Forum do. They are designed out of heavy duty industrial plastic, water proof, with an imbedded heating coil. Easily hooked up to a thermostat and provide a much more uniform non-desiccating heat/warmth than a CHE.
From their site - Since 1998, we’ve been manufacturing a line of products specially designed for pets, including solutions for pet heating. Kane Pet Heat Mats are the ideal heating solution for your dog, cat, turtle, snake, or other reptile. Our pet heating solutions are based on specially adapted heat mats, rheostats and thermostats which you can combine to provide pet heating solutions for your needs and budget.​

Osborne Stanfield®Heating Pads are ideal for kennels, zoos, animal sanctuaries, and even for your pets at home. Our fiberglass-reinforced plastic animal heating pads continue to be the safest and most economical way to promote good health and growth for your pet. Our heat pads distribute heat more evenly than other pet heating pads because of their revolutionary design. The heating element is patterned to radiate warmth across the entire length of the pad, not just at the center. The heating element is completely sealed in the pad making them water-tight.​

Crafted with the most durable plastic, the pet heating pad is tough enough to withstand chewing and scratching, and their ultra-thin profile provides pets with comfort. All Osborne Stanfield Heat Pads are proudly made in the USA at our factory in Osborne, Kansas, and are quality controlled under a strict ISO-9001 quality standard. They are CSA, CE, IEC, and PSE certified safe to operate.​
Thank you very much...very helpful!

London, Ontario
Greetings.

Check out using a Kane heating mat on the floor, a radiant heat panel on the roof, all connected to a thermostat.

Kane Heat Mat - https://kanemfg.com/products/pets/pet-heat-mats/

Radiant Heat Panel - https://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels

Thermostat - https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller

Upload some pix of your enclosure. Regards.
I have ordered a KANE mat to start. Looks like a high quality product that will last for many years. Thanks again for the information.

London, Ontario
Hmmm... not quite sure. I am working on a hiding home for my Leopard which the KANE mat and thermostat will be a part of. Hopefully someone else can help!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Hmmm... not quite sure. I am working on a hiding home for my Leopard which the KANE mat and thermostat will be a part of. Hopefully someone else can help!
I have a a baby leopard and the 4x4 insulated box will be built mid summer. I plan on using an RHP probably 80 watt and a small Kane mat so that the tort will have room to get off if they want cooler. This will allow me to stretch the odd spring and fall we have in Virginia.