Best food, higher calories?

Ninja's mom

I have a 4 month old Russian tortoise which we got in August. He has been lethargic and after a trip to the vet and some good advice on this board I got a new light set up, increased the humidity etc and i'm hoping he'll become more active and therefore eat more soon. He does eat, usually right after I soak him is his favorite time. He will also eat out of my hand during the day sometimes. Obviously he isn't eating enough however b/c I weighed him just prior to changing his set up and he had lost 2 grams since his vet visit (about two weeks before). I am hoping with the new set up he will start gaining but is there a particularly good food he should be eating? I have been buying spring mix at the grocery store and every week try something new like kale, dandelion, etc but so far he seems to really favor the spring mix, particularly the purple "greens" in it...I honestly don't even know what it is!
He also has two types of pellets, he will eat some of the "all living things tortoise diet" that Petco feeds their tortoises, although I suspect thats not the best diet. I think he might like it b/c its small. I also try giving him Zoomed natural grassland tortoise food and he isn't crazy about it. I can sometimes get him to eat a little when I soak it and its all mushy but mostly he ignores it.

I am going to recheck his weight in about a week to make sure he's not continuing to lose (and hopefully gains) but if theres a food that can help him i'll willing to give that a shot!

Thanks!

Ninja's mom

Also, should he be getting a supplement of some sort? I am putting calcium spray on his food twice a week but should he be on a multi vitamin of some sort?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
It's very palatable. Few tortoises turn their noses up at it and it leads to a lot of growth. You can buy it online or in certain feed stores. In North America, at least, it's easy to come by.

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
I have a 4 month old Russian tortoise which we got in August. He has been lethargic and after a trip to the vet and some good advice on this board I got a new light set up, increased the humidity etc and i'm hoping he'll become more active and therefore eat more soon. He does eat, usually right after I soak him is his favorite time. He will also eat out of my hand during the day sometimes. Obviously he isn't eating enough however b/c I weighed him just prior to changing his set up and he had lost 2 grams since his vet visit (about two weeks before). I am hoping with the new set up he will start gaining but is there a particularly good food he should be eating? I have been buying spring mix at the grocery store and every week try something new like kale, dandelion, etc but so far he seems to really favor the spring mix, particularly the purple "greens" in it...I honestly don't even know what it is!
He also has two types of pellets, he will eat some of the "all living things tortoise diet" that Petco feeds their tortoises, although I suspect thats not the best diet. I think he might like it b/c its small. I also try giving him Zoomed natural grassland tortoise food and he isn't crazy about it. I can sometimes get him to eat a little when I soak it and its all mushy but mostly he ignores it.

I am going to recheck his weight in about a week to make sure he's not continuing to lose (and hopefully gains) but if theres a food that can help him i'll willing to give that a shot!

Thanks!
this might be not really the place, but check the parasites and russians need high temps.

FujiBaird

The purple stuff in the spring mix is usually radicchio... sometimes you can buy it separately. I see it often at Whole Foods.

The Petco near me sells Mazuri LS. My tortoise prefers the regular Mazuri formula, which I can only find here at an independent pet shop (or online). It's worth trying both, especially if your tortoise doesn't seem interested in the first one you try.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm not a scientist, and I really don't understand science, however, I THINK that tortoises don't "burn calories" like mammals do. Your tortoise needs nutritious foods, not foods high in calories.

This would be a good question for @Will

Last edited:

W Shaw

My rescue tortoise was severely malnourished when I got him, His vet suggested winter squashes (like pumpkin, butternut, acorn squash), either cooked or raw. I've only had him less than a month, so I can't say how well it works, but he loves it. It does give him a softer stool, but the vet says that's okay as long as he's getting plenty of water to stay hydrated.

Ninja's mom

Thanks everyone! I am happy to report that he has GAINED 8 grams! He isn't a fan of the Mazuri or Zoomed pellets, but will eat a little when I smear them on some greens. He has been eating much better, will even eat out of my hand :) He did like the "All living things pellets" that Petsmart sold and fed to their tortoises but my dog chewed up the bottle and since I don't think it was very healthy I haven't replaced it. I had bought it in desperation after he had lost weight! Is Repcal maintenance formula any good? They look similar to the All living things, maybe he likes the little pellets? His stool sample tested negative and with the lighting adjusted I think we are on the right track! Also, with the pellets I can get in plus greens is a vitamin supplement necessary? I do give calcium twice a week (is there a trick to the liquid calcium, the spray bottle is clogged and I can't seem to clear it. Now i'm just kinda smearing some on but its not ideal!