Best equipment for a leopard

von345

Hi everybody! I really want to get a leopard with out breaking the bank. Any suggestions on the MUST HAVES? Night heat? A humidifier? I live in Louisiana so it's pretty humid naturally. Also suggestions on a good temperature gun and hydro/thermometers in one? I'm stinking of using a power sun and covering the top of the enclosure to hold the humidity. Any pointers would be much appreciated. Thank you

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
One important tip, buy what you can, most of what you need, from home stores not pet stores. Often better quality, and a lot less money. Lamps, temp gun, substrate, thermometers...

von345

What kind of temperature gun is good to use? Where can I buy that?

manmythlegend

5 Year Member
Infrared. The point and shoot kind which is also available at a home center. I use it for my Leopard and for my Uromastyx, Otis. Mine also has a "Body" setting which I've used to check for body temps in the various animals. It even works on fish tanks to check the water temps coming out of a hose while refilling.

haylee345

Durham, North Carolina
Here's a pic of the large enclosure I built for about $80. I made it with room to grow. Eventually I'll add a shelf to the bottom level connnected with a ramp, then a ramp from it to the top level. I have a front for the top level that I'm leaving off for now. I glued thick plastic like painters use to protect carpet on the inside and velcroed it as a flap to hold in humidity. One day I'll get around to painting it and making it pretty....It's a work in progress. All I used was a cheap $25 drill, some long screws, a couple hinges on the front door, hot glue, plastic, and 3/4in pine plywood. Oh and some hooks and chain to hang the lamps from. Lowe's cut the wood for me. It's 4ft tall, 4ft long, and 3ft wide.
IMG_0192.JPG