BEST BEDDING FOR NEW HATCHLINGS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

krb1093

5 Year Member
I'm waiting for the eggs to hatch. Hopefully within 3-4 weeks. They all look great!!!!!! Any advice on what I should have ready for them? Should I take them out of what they're incubating in as soon as they hatch and what is the best bedding to use???? Thanks

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
I keep my hatchlings in the incubator for about a week or so as their yolk sacs absorb. Put them in individual containers LIGHTLY coated with vegoil so there is no risk of the sac rupturing. Then in their enclosure on coco coir. How you do the rest depends on the species you are hatching.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
For my sulcatas and leopards, I leave them in the incubator until they actually leave their egg and start walking around. In the nest they would start eating the dirt and Mom's poop at this time, so I get them out of there pretty quick. I then use plastic shoe boxes with a few quarter inch holes drilled high in thew sides for a little ventilation. I use a double layer of paper towels and mist the paper towels, the sides and the tortoises to keep it all damp and humid. I also put the remainder of their egg shell and some greens in their for them to eat. Sulcatas start eating even when they still have a big yolk sac protruding out. I don't want them nibbling the paper towels, so I give them something else to nibble. They stay in these brooder boxes for around a week usually until their yolk sac is completely absorbed and the umbilical scar closes up. I keep the shoe boxes somewhere warm. Either back in the incubator or into a raised area inside one of my closed chamber enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.