Best baby russian substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePaganJew

5 Year Member
Hey all, I've been going through the forums and am seeing a LOT of opinions on substrate. Currently I have a very small baby russian and was wondering what you think the best substrate is for him. Currently I have him on a sand/coco fiber mix. I am reading a bunch about organic potting soil but I'm worried about the little white balls that it has in it and him eating some. Thanks a lot everyone.

Lou

10 Year Member!
I think the sand and coco fiber is safe for it, as long as its not like 70% sand and 30% coco or something, as I find baby tortoises likes to dig a lot.

As for organic potting soil, I use Miracle Gro Organic and it has worked for me. But with any organic potting soil, if they had the white balls, you will need to remove it.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I don't like sand because it clings to anything moist including the tortoises eyes, mouth and it's food.
I use a mix of about 70% Miracle Gro organic potting soil, 20% coconut coir and the rest ground up sphagnum moss and leaf litter. I've found that if this combination is lightly sprayed twice daily it works well to retain moisture, hold it's form and allow for the tortoises to burrow into it but is not wet enough to stick to everything.

BuffsTorts

5 Year Member
I second GBs soil/coir+ mix,
I used sand and coir at first, however had to spend 500$ bucks on vet appointments because the sand irritated one of my guys eyes, and formed an ulcer.
3 months on Soil, all clear and good to go.

ThePaganJew

5 Year Member
I got him some organic potting soil today and it's working really well so far none of it is getting stuck. he seems a bit confused about it though lol.

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't like sand in any substrate for tortoises. There's the chance of impaction and it clings to their eyes and can cause some irritation there also. I like cypress mulch but it's kinda hard to find. Orchid bark is good too, get fine grade if you go that route. Plain topsoil is alright and organic potting soil does not have the perlite (white balls), coir is alright also, so you have some choices. But you do need to get rid of the sand asap...that's bad stuff!!!

-ryan-

5 Year Member
I use straight coco coir for the babies, partially because it's easy to store, and partially because I have had good luck starting them in extremely moist environments. I tried starting babies on paper towels onces and almost lost one. Since just using coco coir, I have found that they start eating much earlier and grow very smooth shells. When I have kept them I usually change them over to standard topsoil whenever I move them to larger enclosures, but lately I have been selling all of them. Essentially, when raising baby tortoises, keeping them on humid substrate that they can burrow in completely and keeping a strict hands-off policy seems to be most effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.