bert loves scratches!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wyoming
So today bert and i were outside playing in the warm sunshine when he did something new. It was so funny i couldnt stop laughing. But then i started thinking, just how much do they feel with that shell?
I started scratching his shell with my fingernails. All of a sudden he popped up real tall and started wiggleing his shell to my scratches! Then i was scratching his back end of the shell. He stuck his butt in the air and was shankeing it back and forth!! It was the funniest thing i ever saw! He really seemed to be loving it!
I found a little scrub brush and will try that later. I think he will love it. Is this normal? his shell looks a little dry, is there anything i can put on it? I spray him and he gets a soak every few days. I cant wait to show my husband this new thing! also, he is beginning to come to me when i call him. Of course the cactus or pumpkin may have something to do with that! I just love this little guy!

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
My redfoots don't care one way or the other, but I have heard that Red-Ear sliders seem to love it when you scratch their shells. Also, I had a russian one time that I swear was ticklish. I'd start scratching his shell and he's leap out of his skin to get away! :) It's the only time I ever saw him sprint and it was even faster than when he was hungry!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He doesn't love it. He's telling you that he's a male and you should get off of him and stop trying to breed or dominate him.

Its like when you grab a male bullfrog or toad around the waist and they start croaking. They are saying "Let go, I'm a male, you idiot!".

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
thats funny! he kept comming back for more. Usually he he just wanders around, but after that he was my bset friend! at what age do they become aware of being dominate and breeding? Bert is approxamately a 3 yr old Red Foot. I dont want him to "mature" yet, he is still my baby!!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Dale does the same thing when Alexander rubs his butt. I figure he loves it. :D It's too funny to watch. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.