Beginners Tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tryme

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
London
What is the best beginners tortoise? I know hermanns are meant to be good for a starter. Do all tortoises require a uvb tube?

krissy2288

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
california
i have heard box turtles are good starters to, and im not sure about the 2nd question.

evin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
manteca, Ca
in my opinion a hermanns or a russian would be the best tort for a beginner, they all need UVB light it doesnt have to be a flourescent tube but they do need a uvb bulb. this is the best site to learn about torts so ask all the questions you have and you'll get proper care tips and guidelines

tryme

5 Year Member
London
Ok cheers guys. Which is the smallest of the two? (At adult size)

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
I'd go with a redfoot tortoise. there extremely hardy and get very friendly once they know you. they get somewhat big, around 12-14 inches. i have one and hes wicked friendly and good starters

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Also, the redfoot gets his vitamin D from his food, lives in a more shady and moist environment, and seems to do better indoors.

Yvonne

tryme

5 Year Member
London
They are quite hard to come by here in the U.K

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
One of the best and easiest tortoise for a beginner is an Aldabra or Sulcata... they are so forgiving and easy to keep...

You' pretty much treat em like puppies...

tryme said:
What is the best beginners tortoise? I know hermanns are meant to be good for a starter. Do all tortoises require a uvb tube?

I know quite a few breeders and sources in the UK also...

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Like EJ said Sulcatas are really forgiving, only thing is you need to be prepared to have a big tortoise, big yard and lots of room.

Russians, Hermanns and Greeks are also pretty easy to care for.

tryme

5 Year Member
London
Those ones are HUGE. I think i'm going to go for a hermanns or horsfield. A good idea?

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
yes and no... if you ever had either of each... there is no doubt they are easy to keep and very forgiving... except for the space.

yeaaa... it was a joke... to an extent.

maggie3fan said:
I'm hoping our friend EJ is pulling your leg...

tryme

5 Year Member
London
I would like to go for a hermanns, horsfield or leopard tortoise. Are all of these good choices for beginners?

A few questions about if i get a tort..

what would be the best way to house it and the min enclosure size, Can they be kept in vivs as long as there is enough ventilation? Do they require UVB. (As my auntie has kept two in her green house for YEARS and i mean years and there are ok, they was also passed down to her so they are about 60+)

Would it also be possible to use a uva/uvb combined BULB rather than a uvb tube and a regular uva bulb (such as an incandecent house bulb).
Could you suggest some uv bulbs I could go for.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
I am sure everyone will agree with me when I say, a definite no to a vivarium...a viv is not good for any tort, at anytime, no matter how much ventilation you have in it.
I have a Greek tortoise, she is very easy to care for, and very friendly & adventurous! It's better to have as much space for them than too little.
I'm not too sure with regards to your other questions, I think the I will leave them to the Pro's :) But my opinion, they DEF require UVB.
But that's me :)

Just make sure you do some good research about the tort you want before you purchase it, the more you know, the better :)
GOOD LUCK :)

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
You'll find that many keepers maintain tortoises in vivariums very successfully.

I see nothing wrong with the use of vivariums under certain conditions.

Stazz said:
I am sure everyone will agree with me when I say, a definite no to a vivarium...a viv is not good for any tort, at anytime, no matter how much ventilation you have in it.
I have a Greek tortoise, she is very easy to care for, and very friendly & adventurous! It's better to have as much space for them than too little.
I'm not too sure with regards to your other questions, I think the I will leave them to the Pro's :) But my opinion, they DEF require UVB.

Just make sure you do some good research about the tort you want before you purchase it, the more you know, the better :)

tryme

5 Year Member
London
I see. Well what would be the min size for a hermans, horsfield or leopard table? I will aim for bigger but just so I know.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Ok oops, there we go....sorry about that.

I've just always been told it's not great.

Anyway, I'll leave it up to the pro's :)

-EJ said:
You'll find that many keepers maintain tortoises in vivariums very successfully.

I see nothing wrong with the use of vivariums under certain conditions.

Stazz said:

tryme

5 Year Member
London
what would be the min size for a hermans, horsfield or leopard table?

tryme

5 Year Member
London
where would be the best place to get one of these tortoises any way? The reptile shop near me has all 3 but they are all over 1 years old. I'm looking for a youngster to start with if poss.

tryme

5 Year Member
London
What would the min size I would need with regards to the tort table for a hermans? I would like a horsfield but not to sure about the digging thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.