beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
washington state
hey so i saw an ad on craigslist for a RES with a tank, a canister filter, a container of food, a basking dock, and the lights for $100. i am very interested and know how to take care of them to a extent. i know water temperature, lighting, and size, but i need some more tips about there care in general. like maintaining the filter, i have to change something monthly right? and water changes and cleaning. i also need some help on food. what should i be feeding an adult? any help would be great!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Austin:

I guess I'm going to try to discourage you from getting the RES with the aquarium. RES get pretty big and the water gets pretty messy. Its a lot of work to keep a RES in the house. Its much, much easier to set them up outside.

As for the filter, it all depends upon how quickly it gets dirty...maybe once a week...maybe once a month.

RES will eat either live food (worms, crickets, etc.) or vegetation. You can also supplement with pellets.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yup, they are the goldfish of the turtle world...lol....however, I have to say that they have the biggest and funniest personalities....eventually a really large stock tup or outdoor pond should be in the plans if you do adopt one into your life.....

I have two (that I kinda ended up with when they were tiny) and I just adore them....they are messy and I have to do complete water changes at about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks ...the girls here will eat fish (frozen kind, freeze dried crickets, shrimp and other bug parts along with more greens now as they are getting older)

It is absolutely a commitment on your part, but I don't regret it---sometimes I totally DO NOT enjoy the water change outs, but do it and once it is done I am over it...

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
oh okay yeah im still unsure about a turtle since i spent so much time learning about tortoises and the care i think is easier

Status
Not open for further replies.