Beginner Concerns

Amandaconda

So I have a hatchling RF and we have recently moved, since the move i've noticed a few changes.

1) The bottom of his shell is softer than usual and it seems like the bottom of his shell is beginning to come to a point (really hard to explain sorry). I've heard of "pyramiding" but this seems a little different. I've been trying to feed him a variety of foods including mostly dandelion greens and spring mix, but also things like berries, banana, and tomato. I've also looked into shell rot and it doesn't seem like shell rot to me, no peeling or flaking of the shell whatsoever, but we do keep his cage pretty moist.

2) Before I moved he was very active compared to how he has been acting now. At my old place his cage was placed near a window for natural sunlight. But now my mother refuses to keep his heating and UVB light on when she is not home. I've tried explaining to her that it needs to be on at least 8 Hours a day. Could this be affecting his mood/behavior?

Anything helps! sorry for being a newbie but i really want my baby to be happy :(

Alexio

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse, New York
Yes this is likely your problem. Soft shells are usually associated with a lack of uvb.

What are you temps like night and day in the enclosure? Uvb lights need to be on for daytime hours if the tort never goes outside. Heat lights should be on during the day and non lighting heat emitters should be on at night. Depending on the temps in your house\ where you live in the world.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Tortoises, especially baby tortoises that are growing rapidly need UVB.
Your Redfoot needs temperatures of between 80 and 88 with humidity up over 75%.
The very best UVB source is the sun. Are you able to let your baby spend time outside with supervision? As stated, windows and screens block out UVB.
A few hours a day with REAL sunlight would work. Other wise you'll need a good light.(Not a coiled compact florescent!)

Tell your mother that turning off the lights and depriving the tortoise of heat and UV is a death sentence for your pet.
Babies aren't as tough as adults. A sick baby often dies of illness. Illness that is preventable is very sad.
Any photos you can take would help us to make suggestions that would be beneficial for you both.

Amandaconda

Yes this is likely your problem. Soft shells are usually associated with a lack of uvb.

What are you temps like night and day in the enclosure? Uvb lights need to be on for daytime hours if the tort never goes outside. Heat lights should be on during the day and non lighting heat emitters should be on at night. Depending on the temps in your house\ where you live in the world.

thank you so much it means a lot! We live in Central Minnesota, i try to keep the temp around 80- 85 degrees. inside the house is usually set at 70

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Amanda:

Please (in a humble and kind voice) let your mother know that the tortoise is a cold blooded animal and needs an external heat source or it will die. Without being able to warm up his core temperature to at least 80F degrees, he stops eating and eventually dies. No one in the South American jungle turns off the sun when they leave the jungle. These type animals depend upon us to provide them the correct living conditions.

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
Hi Amanda:

Please (in a humble and kind voice) let your mother know that the tortoise is a cold blooded animal and needs an external heat source or it will die. Without being able to warm up his core temperature to at least 80F degrees, he stops eating and eventually dies. No one in the South American jungle turns off the sun when they leave the jungle. These type animals depend upon us to provide them the correct living conditions.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Amanda, if your Mother won't allow what it takes to keep your tortoise healthy, you might consider finding a home for it where she/he has a chance to thrive. IMHO.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Amanda, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)
We were all newbies once, and we're all still learning.
Everyone is in agreement about this, your tortoise must get UVB and heat or it will get sick and die.
If your mother is concerned about a fire starting, make sure your bulbs are properly fixed and secured, no clamp fittings. Maybe use thermostats to convince your mother that they will not overheat.
If it's the cost of the electric, can you contribute ?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi Amanda.
You said "cage". Is this an open or closed system. A closed system like a vivarium is not only better for your tort, it will save you money on electricity because the heat won't escape as fast.
In a 2×4ft vivarium all you would need is a 150watt CHE on a thermostat and a 15watt UVB strip light. Your CHE on a stat in a viv will run for approximately 50% of the time as it will kick in and out with power to maintain the Temperature. UVB on for 12hrs per day and CHE on 24/7. This will use near as damn it 2kw per 24hrs. Not sure how much your electricity is per 1kw, for me it would cost around £100 per year. Also the heat that does escape will help was up the room that the vivarium is in. Explain that to your mum and see if it helps.

Amandaconda

After over 24 hours of consistent UVB light he looks so much better but is still not moving around much or eating at all :(
Any idea how long until he feels well enough to eat?? We are getting kind of concerned its been a few days.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You must not have the UVB light on 24 hours a day!
He needs total darkness in order to sleep properly.
The UVB light should be on for about 14 hours and then no light at all.
If it gets too cold use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) that provides heat but no light.

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
After over 24 hours of consistent UVB light he looks so much better but is still not moving around much or eating at all :(
Any idea how long until he feels well enough to eat?? We are getting kind of concerned its been a few days.
Do you soak him in warm water at least once every day? Cause he may be dehydrated. When he starts to eat again sprinkle a little calcium on his food every day. The UVB and heat are also apart of this. They usually need 12 hours of UVB/UVA for it to help. Hope s/he gets better :)

Amandaconda

Do you soak him in warm water at least once every day? Cause he may be dehydrated. When he starts to eat again sprinkle a little calcium on his food every day. The UVB and heat are also apart of this. They usually need 12 hours of UVB/UVA for it to help. Hope s/he gets better :)
I went to soak him in warm water today and he immediately got up and wanted to get out of the water. I didn't force him to stay in the water much longer. It wasn't unusually hot or anything either.

Amandaconda

You must not have the UVB light on 24 hours a day!
He needs total darkness in order to sleep properly.
The UVB light should be on for about 14 hours and then no light at all.
If it gets too cold use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) that provides heat but no light.

Do you have a preference for a CHE? I'd Love to get him one!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Many torts hate having their soaks to begin.
Some get used to it, and some even get to enjoy it.
Some never do, it seems.
It is good for him, so you must ensure he gets his soaks, even if it does stress him a bit.
I don't think the brand of CHE matters much.

kelii

5 Year Member
Georgia
I got my CHE on eBay for $5. It's 100 watts. You don't need expensive ones from the pet store.

Wherethetortiroam

5 Year Member
If mother still worries about things catching fire (I assume that's why she doesn't like the lights on when she's not home) save the receipts from everything and give so if things do catch fire maybe sue who ever made it. But that's hard to do with random purchases from any tom **** or Harry. I suggest zoomed or any other reputable brand.

If its colder where you live now then take your moms heating blanket (if she has one) off her bed, say your worried about fires too. . . . That's what I'd do but I'm silly and spiteful.

Welcome to the site btw, hope you and your tort grow very old together.