Beginner can't decide between hermann, russian, or greek

tortilover2299

So I'm thinking about either getting a Hermann tortoise or a Russian or Greek tortoise. I've never had a tortoise before so which one do you think would be good for a beginner like me? Also, I stay at my friend's house quite a bit and she has a Russian and a Golden Greek. So if I had a Hermann it could not stay with either of those correct? But if I had a Russian or a Greek could it stay in one of her enclosures while i'm there?

THBfriend

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
This should answer some of your questions.
In theory, Hermann's and Greeks together shouldn't be a problem. As long as they are juveniles, because you should avoid breeding hybrids. In practice, the enclosure has to be big enough for the tortoises to easily avoid each other, you should be reasonably certain that no diseases are transmitted, and tortoises don't like frequent relocations anyway.

tortilover2299

This should answer some of your questions.
In theory, Hermann's and Greeks together shouldn't be a problem. As long as they are juveniles, because you should avoid breeding hybrids. In practice, the enclosure has to be big enough for the tortoises to easily avoid each other, you should be reasonably certain that no diseases are transmitted, and tortoises don't like frequent relocations anyway.
So should I just not bring the little guy to my friend's? What if I leave to go there for a few days? Should I get someone to watch my tortoise or should I bring it with me?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Most recommend keep tortoises solitary. Especially russians who are an aggressive tort. Torts also take time to adjust to new surroundings. If you take your tort to "visit" a new teritory that already has a tort it is likely he will be stressed. Save him the stress and keep him home alone. Everyone has their own opinion on this but most will agree that unless the are is really large, groups of torts do not do well. Good luck.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Lismar79 is absolutely correct. Tortoises, especially tortoises of the genus Testudo, do best when kept in solitary, given that Hermanns, Russians, and Greeks are jerks to each other. Tortoises do terribly in pairs, where one animal inevitably bullies and dominates the other, and the only reason any male/female combination may work is that the male gets to distribute his abuses onto all females present, ensuring that no one female suffers the brunt of the bullying, an arrangement I would hardly consider ideal, though many tortoise breeders actually do it this way. Me personally, I've never been a fan of stressed torts, unnecessary veterinary bills to treat biting and ramming injuries, and disproportionate growth rates that are bound to occur when a submissive tortoise loses his lunch to the bullying of a more dominant cage mate. I have personal experience with this, keeping marginated tortoises together in a 1.2 group. The male domineered over both females, and the females were always hiding while the male enjoyed the best basking spots, first access to food (regardless of whether or not I fed them separate or together), and the upper hand in all confrontations. My girls didn't really start to come out of their shells until they found themselves queens of their respective domains. Sure, keeping more than one tort requires quite the allotment of space, but if these beasts capture your heart as they have mine and all these good people on the forum, then you will make that allotment, because you will find yourself incapable of keeping only one. To those who do keep only one, I must say, I don't know whether I envy such self control or pity the fact that they are really missing out. But yes, keep strange tortoises away from your tortoise. He will have no interest in meeting them, and they will certainly have no tolerance for his trespassing into their territory.

T.G.