Been Reading But Can't Find an Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

skibum100

5 Year Member
So I have been trying to find the ideal tortoise for my outdoors. I have been on this forum and a couple other sites trying to figure out different types and different climates they might like, unfortunately I haven't found enough to say that will work and go out and get a tortoise so i am asking you guys for help.

I have a large circular caged pen about 30 ft diameter with mainly dry dirt as a base a few small weed plant etc. I live in Northern California close to Sacramento were the weather gets to an average high in summer of 92 and in the winters it gets sometimes rainy and a low of 40. I am trying to decide on a tortoise that could strive in a large pen with these pretty fluctuating temperatures from winter to summer (larger tortoise the better since it is a large pen). I would most likely imagine i would have to build a small wooden house for it to get out of rainy weather and keep warm on bad winter weather nights.(correct?)

Am I just completely out of luck for finding an all weather tortoise or do you guys have any recommendations?
thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All tortoises need to be kept warm in the winter cold months. Some will hibernate during the colds months if allowed. Others need artificial heat. I can't really help you on the best species for your area. In my opinion, it depends on which one you want and how much your willing to put into making its environment as close as to what it needs. There are all kinds being kept in Cali. Good luck and others will be able to help you better.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There really isn't one. If the climate where you are was suitable for any species of tortoise, it would occur there. Even if one did occur there you would still have to "help" it by somehow manipulating the environment to suit its needs, since even a large enclosure would still restrict it from doing what it needs to do to survive and finding what it needs to find to survive.

So it really boils down to just HOW unsuitable YOUR environment is for a given species and how much effort and expense you want to put into maintaining a tortoise. For example, my area is totally unsuitable for redfooted tortoises. Some people try to keep them here, but they never do very well. It's just too hot and dry. Now I could set up an elaborate system of misters, sprinklers shade plants and air conditioning, but for me, all that is just too much expense and effort. Instead I choose to work with sulcatas and leopards which do just fine here. All they need is a simple heated box to retreat to for the occasional cold day or night. I intend to start working with Russians and Hermanns soon too. Things are a bit cooler and rainy-er where you are so you might need something a little more extensive. There are people who keep russians outdoors near where you are. Hopefully, they will chime in soon.

Either way you've come to the right place for info. Lots of knowledgable keepers here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, skibum!

Laura (that's her username) lives in the foothills east of Sacramento and she has a couple sulcatas and a steppe tortoise. But, like Tom said, because tortoises do not occur in your geographical area in nature, any tortoise you get will have to be catered to. You have to provide what it needs to survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.