Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ok so i have tried eco-earth w play sand 50/50 and had most recently switched to repti bark. Well i now i read that iyvonne used the forest floor bedding. Im moving to a new place next saturday (yay no more cat !) and im gona get new fresh bedding. I guess i wana get the right stuff this time. My leopards are 1.5 yrs and 2 yrs about 6 inches and 7.5 inches length so they are not babies. I jus want to get the humidity right cause nibbler is already pyramided from his previous own and tessa in on her way but better off than nibs. Just want suggestions and experiences please

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Temple City, Ca
I have DT, so I am not the correct person to answer your question, but I have heard repti bark does not hold humidity well and I had a problem with it being eaten.

I hope the local "experts" :D have better opinions and recommendations.

Dawna

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My substrate of choice is orchid bark. You have to really shop around to find it (unless you have an Orchard Supply Hardware in your city), but its a really nice substrate. It comes in fine, medium and large. The fine is what I use. Orchids are very sensitive to oils and additives, so orchid bark is pretty clean. You can wet it good and it never turns sour. Its easy for the tortoises to walk on. It doesn't cause impaction. And its fairly clean (doesn't stick to those little sticky feet). My second choice is cypress mulch (Forest Floor by Zoo Med or Cypress Bed by T-Rex). That's hard to find here on the West Coast, and I can only find it in small bags at the pet store. Would much rather be able to buy it by the bale. Oh well.

Those are my choices!

Oh, and by the way...I use both of the above for my desert tortoise babies too!

Yvonne

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
I told you one of the local "experts" would chime in. :D

Yvonne, How about the chance of Fred eating either substrate. If he does will it hurt him? Cuz as I've said he eats everything that doesn't eat him first. (Although if I have my way nothing will ever get the chance) :p

Dawna

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It doesn't cause impaction. But the pieces are pretty big to swallow. Normally, they don't eat it, but then, Fred is special (not normal!).

Yvonne

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
emysemys said:
It doesn't cause impaction. But the pieces are pretty big to swallow. Normally, they don't eat it, but then, Fred is special (not normal!).

Yvonne

Definitely not normal. He is still tasting the rocks daily. They still are rocks though, not edible. :p I put a new dish in their table and first thing he did was try to eat it. Not try to eat the food in the dish, the dish itself. I actually gave him a green ball to move around the table, same color as lettuce. THAT I have never seen him try to eat. He has walked over it and hi centered himself momentarily though. :rolleyes: But he is entertaining. He also fell asleep up against the wall today. Apparently he was attempting escape and got tired. He was resting on his rear feet and shell straight up n down plastron against the wall out cold asleep. He was a little miffed when I woke him up too.

OOps sorry hijack over.

Dawna

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
No that was a good question. What about a sphagum peat moss and eco - earth combo as i noticed my leopards really like to dig.

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
I ended up using a mix of ReptiBark and EcoEarth on the humid/cool side of Smiley's enclosure. Then, for her dry/warm side, I use Aspen shavings. It works out nice for me. The ReptiBark and EcoEarth seem to not mold or smell at all, and Smiley likes to poop on the warm side, so it easy to spot a turd on the Aspen.

Here is a picture of her enclosure.

Evan

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
does the substrate stay nice and separated like that? Or does she mix it up? :p

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
Meg,

It actually stays pretty separated. There is some mixing where the two substrates touch, just from her dragging her feet and shell around, but I don't think Smiley is actively trying to mix stuff up.

Evan

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i found an orchid dealer litterally a block down from my work and it cost $22.90 for 2 cubic foot of fine grade . Is that expensive ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
twtraudio said:
i found an orchid dealer litterally a block down from my work and it cost $22.90 for 2 cubic foot of fine grade . Is that expensive ?

Yes. I get a 2 cu. ft. bag from Orchard Supply Hardware for $10

Yvonne

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi Evan, I just looked at your enclosure and I must've raised my guys in a barn(2 RF's) They would have that mixed up and thrown the food around for good measure in a heartbeat. The pen I have is 6 x4 and it still isn't big enough, I will be so happy when the snow melts and they can be outside.
Nice pen.Your lucky.
Nadine

oh 1 question, how do you guys get that picture in the corner?

Status
Not open for further replies.