BEBOP! the rescued tortoise

Bebop Barnett

Location (City and/or State)
Honolulu
upload_2019-4-9_2-31-36.pngBeb.JPGupload_2019-4-9_2-31-36.png Beb.JPG

Hi everyone, we found this poor Sulcata roaming the middle of the street in Honolulu a week ago. It was in serious danger getting run over. We can't seem to locate his/her owner, but in the meantime "Bebop" is being fed kale, grass, beet greens, and especially LOVES radish greens and all hibiscus parts. He's alert and energetic, super cute! These forums have been an invaluable resource, so thank you all :)

Right now we are helping a friend prepare their yard for Beebs: burrow-proofing, grass sowing, plant checking, etc. He currently lives on our balcony in a large planter box, has an enclosed house filled with damp substrate, and freely roams around the patio. He basks happily under a reptile lamp, pees and poops frequently. He's quite curious, and after a few days seems relatively comfortable around me. Has skittish moments, but for the most part isn't afraid to walk over my feet and "sit" on his belly even if a human is around.

He's happy and healthy now, but I'm a concerned his shell is showing signs of early pyramiding. What do you experts think? No idea what his previous owners were feeding him, or what the lighting and living environment was... However humidity in Honolulu is always around 70-80%. Temperature always around 80F year round. Never above 90 or below 60. I also have no clue of Bebop's gender and age. His shell is about 7" (18cm) end-to-end. Attached are a couple photos.

Right now trying to get everything right by referring to these threads: Giving daily misting, water, twice weekly soak, lots of sun and warmth, a humid-hide, large roaming area, variety of the calcium-richest foods and no "junk" greens like lettuce, spinach, cucumber. Cuttlebone is en route.

Advice on shell health, age, any other tips are appreciated!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

We'll need to see The Beeb's under side to tell his gender.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Yvonne, thanks for the reply! Ok I'll try to get a photo of Bebop's... bebop today ^_^
Any opinion on shell growth?
The appearance of the shell leads me to think he's been an indoor tortoise for a long time. I see nothing wrong with it. He actually looks pretty darned good.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
It looks like he was found by just the right people. I don’t think he is big enough to tell gender just yet, but we can try. If possible, up the soaks to 3-4 times a week. You can never soak too many times. I love the name you picked!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
View attachment 269305View attachment 269306View attachment 269305 View attachment 269306

Hi everyone, we found this poor Sulcata roaming the middle of the street in Honolulu a week ago. It was in serious danger getting run over. We can't seem to locate his/her owner, but in the meantime "Bebop" is being fed kale, grass, beet greens, and especially LOVES radish greens and all hibiscus parts. He's alert and energetic, super cute! These forums have been an invaluable resource, so thank you all :)

Right now we are helping a friend prepare their yard for Beebs: burrow-proofing, grass sowing, plant checking, etc. He currently lives on our balcony in a large planter box, has an enclosed house filled with damp substrate, and freely roams around the patio. He basks happily under a reptile lamp, pees and poops frequently. He's quite curious, and after a few days seems relatively comfortable around me. Has skittish moments, but for the most part isn't afraid to walk over my feet and "sit" on his belly even if a human is around.

He's happy and healthy now, but I'm a concerned his shell is showing signs of early pyramiding. What do you experts think? No idea what his previous owners were feeding him, or what the lighting and living environment was... However humidity in Honolulu is always around 70-80%. Temperature always around 80F year round. Never above 90 or below 60. I also have no clue of Bebop's gender and age. His shell is about 7" (18cm) end-to-end. Attached are a couple photos.

Right now trying to get everything right by referring to these threads: Giving daily misting, water, twice weekly soak, lots of sun and warmth, a humid-hide, large roaming area, variety of the calcium-richest foods and no "junk" greens like lettuce, spinach, cucumber. Cuttlebone is en route.

Advice on shell health, age, any other tips are appreciated!
Welcome and thanks for rescuing Beebs. I would up the soaks to everyday for 1/2hr. Warm water don't let it cool down.
If he was raised properly then going by my sully. He might be about a 1 1/2 yrs. But that's a guess. The slight pyramiding is fine and if cared for as Beebs gets bigger it should diminish some. Dont let Beebs get below 80% ever.
Great looking sully!

Bebop Barnett

Honolulu
Wow everyone, thanks for your speedy replies! What a great community.
Okay! great to hear he's in good health, I won't feel conflicted if his original owners come calling ^_^

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome to you and Bebop.
He was very lucky to have found you and it's great that you have taken the time to research his care on TFO.
Read the caresheets, Enclosures thread and Beginners Mistakes etc but also ask as many questions as you need.
There are plenty of sully keepers here who will be happy to share their own experiences and give good advice.
This really is the best place to learn about torts, so I hope you'll be popping in regularly and keep us updated on Bebop.