Beardie is a pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mel

5 Year Member
My daughter's Beardie is a pig! I went from Mealies to Super Mealies because it's such an agressive eater. It eats right from her hand. We give it crickets too.

Attachments

• brandi\'s beardie.jpg
    brandi\'s beardie.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 44
  • beardie with supermealies.jpg
    beardie with supermealies.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 47

Ahernandez1990

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cypress, CA
Cool give it some greens too mine loves collard greens and yellow squash I feed my beardie dubia roaches crickets superworms collard greens yellow squash and occasionally waxworms

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
Clinger and Sunshine really liked kale, and any succulent cactus I tried to put with them :)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Cute dragon!

Careful with those mealies and supers, though--they have very poor nutritional content, and very high chitin. I personally had to stop feeding them to my dragon completely, because he got very constipated (though not quite impacted, thankfully) on them. Granted, my dragon is a rescue and a bit more sensitive to that kind of thing. In any case, there are plenty of much better options out there: Dubia roaches are super easy to breed and great beardie food. Silkworms, hornworms, and Phoenix worms are all fantastic to include in your beardie's diet (though many people just use them as treats, as these 3 tend to be a bit on the pricey side). Even properly dusted and gut-loaded crickets are a hundred times better than meal and super worms. And, of course, don't forget to include greens/veggies, as has already been mentioned--beardies are omnivores, after all. :)

I'd also recommend rethinking that bark substrate... Particle substrate of any kind tends to be a bad idea with beardies. Here's some good reading: http://beautifuldragons.com/ They have a good care sheet at this site, plus all kinds of other super useful info. I have their Nutrition Content page bookmarked--it lists different food options (i.e. veggies and feeder bugs), along with a recommendation of how often to feed it (if ever!) and why. http://www.beardeddragon.org/ also has a good care sheet, as well as a great forum--not unlike a TFO for bearded dragons.

Ahernandez1990

5 Year Member
Cypress, CA
Butterworms are also good to feed beardies waxworms help fatten your dragons up so you dont want to feed them too much mealworms are hard for your beardie to digest due to their exoskeleton & superworms are easier to digest beardies basically just need a variety I give my beardie a fuzzy once a month as a treat I work at Petsmart and it saddens me on how many people come in only feeding theit beardie crickets or veggies that have no nutritional value to them

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Floof said:
Cute dragon!

Careful with those mealies and supers, though--they have very poor nutritional content, and very high chitin. I personally had to stop feeding them to my dragon completely, because he got very constipated (though not quite impacted, thankfully) on them. Granted, my dragon is a rescue and a bit more sensitive to that kind of thing. In any case, there are plenty of much better options out there: Dubia roaches are super easy to breed and great beardie food. Silkworms, hornworms, and Phoenix worms are all fantastic to include in your beardie's diet (though many people just use them as treats, as these 3 tend to be a bit on the pricey side). Even properly dusted and gut-loaded crickets are a hundred times better than meal and super worms. And, of course, don't forget to include greens/veggies, as has already been mentioned--beardies are omnivores, after all. :)

I'd also recommend rethinking that bark substrate... Particle substrate of any kind tends to be a bad idea with beardies. Here's some good reading: http://beautifuldragons.com/ They have a good care sheet at this site, plus all kinds of other super useful info. I have their Nutrition Content page bookmarked--it lists different food options (i.e. veggies and feeder bugs), along with a recommendation of how often to feed it (if ever!) and why. http://www.beardeddragon.org/ also has a good care sheet, as well as a great forum--not unlike a TFO for bearded dragons.

Great advice!

I'm on that forum as well. If your on Facebook, check out Yaddle the bearded dragon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.